Thursday, May 7, 2020

What a Day!

Compared to the sameness of the past days and all the rain, this was an amazing day from start to finish.

I've been drooping a little lately because of the cold and rain (although several hours of rumbling thunder the other night did a lot of cheer me up) and not seeing anyone and having an unusual sore throat for a couple of days.  Veering off my eating plan a little has discouraged me, but I'm back on track again.

I had two things on the calendar this week.  One was called off, and the other one I forgot.

The "taco truck" was scheduled to be here on Tuesday to celebrate Cinco de Mayo, and Debbie, Noreen, and I planned to walk over together - I'm not sure why, just for a little spaced-out company, I guess.  During the afternoon, my throat was bothering me, so I decided to take a nap and woke up right before time to go.  When my alarm went off, I noticed a text from Noreen saying the truck had broken down and wasn't coming.  I then texted Debbie who had not read the email.  So.  No Mexican food.  I was a little relieved not to have to get out and talk, so it was fine with me, but Elise and I wanted our holiday food!  She ended up going to the grocery store and getting a few frozen things and we made do with that and maybe a couple of little cartons of ice cream!

During the weekend, I ordered some plants from the FFA at Mount Si High School.  They were just about sold out by the time I found the sale, which is just as well.  I didn't need the temptation to buy too many things.  I did the online order - a red geranium, 2 purple wave petunias, and a little rosemary bush - paid and scheduled pickup for Wednesday between 1:00 and 2:00.  I even set two alarms to remind me, and they worked, but I just flipped them off without checking to see what they were trying to tell me.  I still have some school reminders that ring randomly, so I guess I thought that was it.  About 9:00 last night I remembered and was so mad with myself.  It all ended well though.  I emailed them and got a new pickup time, and they're safely on the balcony, waiting for FOUR glorious days of 80+ temperatures and sunshine, starting tomorrow.

Yesterday I told the girls I would bring them a Happy Meal one day this week, and we settled on today since Emily worked all day, and Ryan needed to work on his building project.  Pretty early this morning, I got a video call from Graysen reminding me that it was Happy Meal day.  Looks like I should have her remind me of all my other obligations.

I picked up the food about 11:00 and headed home.  It's still strange to drive more than the few blocks to the grocery store, but I enjoyed that beautiful drive.  It's full-on spring now, and there's loveliness everywhere you look.  I took a few pictures but felt like I needed to concentrate on driving.  I also got a few more at Emily's house when I got home.



 This is the house next door, Emily and Ryan's former house, and we bought these purple plants after we had seen them at a nature center somewhere.  I can never remember the name of them, but they're not plants I grew up knowing.  I think they start with a K.


I'm not sure what this is.  It has a strange leaf for a rhody.  I thought mountain laurel, but that's not it either.


Front bed on Steller Way.


Perfect little cherry tree for climbing.


Sunshine, Happy Meals - and a mask.  Perfectly normal.


My afternoon throne.  Ryan had my chairs in his garage to paint, so that was the perfect observation point.





So sweet.  Katherine ran in to get a sweater because it was still a little chilly, but she put it on inside out.  I didn't mention it, and the sweater was soon abandoned when it got warmer, so no one was the wiser.






 Across-the-street friends were excited to see a picnic going on and brought their lunch outside too.



Dad went in and put some speakers in the upstairs windows so the girls could do a little dancing on the sidewalk.





 Then the next-door neighbors noticed and brought their lunches out too, but my phone died about that time, and I didn't get a picture.  The 4-year-old understands the distancing, but not the just-walking little brother.  I'm sure it's frustrating that just as soon as he is able to walk and visit and communicate, he's scooped up and taken away every time he approaches anyone.

 With no toys outside, the girls made do like we used to in the "old days" by pretending.  They had a choice to go bring something out to play with, but they enjoyed roughing it.  Katherine liked to talk about "back time" when I was a little girl, and they asked so many questions about the things I didn't have.  I told them I DID have a telephone and electricity but no computers or cell phones.  There are so many things they want to know about - like how to make candles and how to cook without a stove (they have been camping!), and they wanted to know if I lived before or after Jesus lived.

This girl's heart's desire is to start a fire with twigs - or rocks - or anything.  I hope she gets to do it one day.  She's so sad when it doesn't work for her.




Grinding rocks to make my coffee.  Katherine was gathering eggs - rocks.


I hope I added a little bit to their fun today.  I know they made me very happy, and I laughed so much at their imaginative play and their sweetness.  And Graysen shouting "Hey, Google, play Hey Jude," into my phone and not getting any response.  And sewing with wheat thread - two colors -  blades of long grass.  That led to a discussion about wheat and bread and the Little Red Hen.  Who knows what is swirling around in their brains tonight.

So thankful for this little chance to be with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment