Saturday, May 16, 2020

A Little Mask-Making

I don't think the girls really go many places where they need a mask, maybe the grocery store sometimes, but they like the idea of having them.  So when they saw my cat mask and requested one, I was more than happy to oblige.

I'm still using the Olson pattern, and I can do them assembly line fashion now.





I like the inside best, but I don't think they use a filter, so it's not really necessary.


After I picked out the fabric, I noticed hanging in the sewing room closet a little dress I had made Graysen a few years ago from this fabric and that Katherine had finally outgrown.  I bet if I showed it to her, she would make it fit and have a matching top and mask, just perfect for their dress-ups.


I also had a sad request for a repair.  Katherine's bike pouch for her handlebars had lost its Velcro, so she asked me to fix it.  Simple except for fitting the little circle under my needle.  It was a stretch, but it's now ready to fill up with rocks or whatever she sees on her bike ride.



I walked over to take these things by and stayed awhile to watch them while Ryan did some work.

They didn't know I was coming, and it was such a sweet thing to see them jump up and start waving and yelling, "Mimi, Mimi"  when they realized it was me.

They were sitting on the side of the street on their side and Liz and London were sitting on their side, and they were telling a story to each other and taking turns adding to it.  So cute.  Liz was formerly a kindergarten teacher, and she is so good with the kids and spends a lot of time entertaining them.


I worry (of course) about them being so close to the street, but it's a different time now, and there are few cars on this street.  When they sit on the sidewalk, they're constantly in the way of walker's, bike riders, scooters, skaters, and wagons.

They ended up on their scooters going up and down the sidewalk and had a great time.  I got wound up in one of their pretend stories, but I had an easy part.  They would walk by with their pets, and I would hold up a sign and try to get patients.  I always had to say the emergency number - 800-42 - and think of different specials I could offer.  A hamster appendectomy was a popular one.  They learned some new words - surgeon, incision, appendectomy - and loved using them.  Gurney was their favorite one!  They have such good imaginations and got along perfectly today.  

Graysen is having a little trouble with her mask being too big, so I'm going to work on that tomorrow. It's so hard not to hug these sweet girls.  So hard.




 Katherine's mask might be a little too big too, but this is before we tightened the elastic.  I'm not sure what that creature in the tree is, but they were pretending it was a tarantula.








Graysen is really good on her scooter, maybe a little too brave for me, and Katherine is getting more and more confidence.



London loved riding hers too, but she can't seem to enjoy wearing a helmet yet.  It's hard to get used to.


More important is tying your friends to the scooter by their necks!



The weather was nice, warmish and cloudy, and it was a pleasant hour.  I've missed seeing everyone this week.

I ran into a whole family of bunnies on the walk home, eating as hard as they could.  I stopped and watched them for a while.

And one watched me!






 There's this bush again.  I sometimes learn the name of it but forget it.  It reminds me of forsythia but has waxy flowers.



I enjoyed my walk knowing that we're about to have days and days of rain again.  I thought it was time for that rain to give us a break.  

No comments:

Post a Comment