Saturday, May 19, 2018

Shaping Up to be a Nice Weekend

I woke up this morning and realized Elise was working today.  Not that I don't enjoy having her around, but we both need days to ourselves.

I realized I had missed the actual Royal Wedding, but the replays were fine for a quick recap.  It looked like everything went well, and it was fun to see all the different things people were wearing, or some of them.  I'm not sure why people cry at weddings, except with happiness, of course, but there's just something about two people starting their lives together that make you remember your own wedding day and how the world was about to unfold right in front of you.  I guess the sadness comes in knowing you'll never know that particular feeling again and wishing you could just start over.   I know when Mike and I loaded up that car and headed for Auburn, there was nothing that wasn't possible, just the pure happiness of being able to share everything in life with another person who loved you.  Memories are good to have, to bring out and think about but not long enough for them to make you sad.

It's such a nice day to spend alone, cool and cloudy but still bright.  My few plants on the balcony are needing some sun, so maybe we'll get some soon.  And maybe I'll go buy a few more this afternoon, some herbs and a few annuals to fill in.




Stella is talking this opportunity to stretch out and enjoy the fresh air.  I got a call from the vet, and she does have diabetes.  I don't know what all this is going to entail.  He's supposed to call me back this morning with a plan.  I hope it just involves beginning with changing her diet.  I know she won't like "special" food.  

A few pictures from last week.  I want Elise to drive me around so I can take some pictures of these beautiful rhododendrons I see but can't capture while I'm driving.  

The girls have started looking out for them for me.  




The last one is at Nick Donald's where we went for our weekly treat.  It was so neat that the girls turned down a Happy Meal after discussing it and thinking it through.  I let them see the toy offering on the screen and study it and talk about it - luckily, there was quite a line.  Graysen spoke for both of them in saying, "Why don't we NOT get the toy?"  We then talked about what they wanted from this outing, and they decided in the end to get a milkshake to take home and to eat corn dogs and yogurt and fruit at my house.  Smart girls.  They just like the IDEA of going somewhere after gymnastic but don't really care what they eat.  It's just the experience, which I love.

Emily has been putting out their clothes for school, but she worked really late Thursday night and didn't get a chance to, so we were on our own Friday morning.  Emily likes to get pictures before school, so she got rewarded with these.  This is what I have to contend with for 30 minutes on a school morning.  Clothes.  Socks.  What color bow or just a barrette.  What kind of pony tail or no pony tail.  Brushing teeth and washing faces.  Then whether to wear a raincoat or not.  It's always boots for Graysen because of the barnyard, but Kate likes to be original with her shoes. The only requirement is that she can take them off and put them on by herself.  Birdie shoes this morning.

Smile for Mama.  I wrote Emily, "Stripes, plaids, tutus, and birdie shoes."  I guess it could be worse.  They seem to kind of match.






This is what was happening while I was trying to lure Kate back over for a hair redo.


We have to time it just right because if we're just 5 minutes off schedule, we get caught in one of the elementary school's morning traffic, which makes us late-ish to Rooster Valley.  Kate likes to take at least one "friend" to ride with her and wait for her in the car - some sort of stuffed animal or - yesterday, one of her dad's 1980s wooden Fisher Price rooster from the farm set.   One neat thing is to keep library books in the car and let them look at one while they ride, but they love the morning ride to school.  It's the afternoons that they're kind of worn out and grumpy until they "eat sumpin."

Speaking of barnyards, I finally got a picture of the sheep that ran into us in the barn - or his brother.  I can't tell them apart.  I know one is Lamb-ert.  I'm not sure he appreciated my baa-ing sounds to get his attention and looks like he would love to run us over again.


I'm washing clothes, drinking coffee and doing a little cleaning.  Good kind of morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment