Friday, August 6, 2021

The Weekend Comes Finally

 I've loved everything we did this week, but I have to say I'm ready for doing things at my own pace for a couple of days.

Today I just had Katherine for about 3 hours while Graysen and Ryan took Liz to the airport.  When they dropped Katherine off, she gave Liz the sweetest long hug.  I'm so sorry they can't see their cousins more often.  Maybe it will work out for Liz to come to UW!

Katherine usually loves time alone without her sister, but today she was a little sad at not having her around.  They've become so dependent on each other.  I love it, but I think Kate might have a hard time adjusting when school starts.  After all, they spent the whole of last school year in the same room.  She will have the other kindergartener, Ellis, from that same school room, so it will be like having another sister.  She gave me an elaborate shrug when I asked if she was missing Gray, and she said, "Yes.  In first grade, I'll have new friends, but it's not the same."  Poor babies.  It's been a pretty unusual time for them, but they may be better off with a few struggles in life to overcome.

We read a few books and then played Bananagram, making up our own rules.  I don't think she quite got it, but she loved looking for letters and making up words.   She was sad to not find Carly upstairs, so she had to spend the time with Mimi, but we weren't complaining.

Before she came, I tried my second Purple Carrot meal.  This is the one I thought I would like best, but I didn't like it as much as the first one.

This was called Smoky Portobello Tacos and was a little easier to make than the one yesterday.


My version.  If I ever try it again, I'll skip the taco shells.  They were flimsy and broke apart immediately after one bite.


That little bag of Spanish rice was the star of the show.  It smelled delicious out of the bag and was even better cooked.  I would have been happy with the mushrooms cooked with tamari and liquid smoke and the Spanish rice.  Perfect.


It would never have occurred to me to use cabbage and radishes on a taco, but I did it just like directed, and it was overall good, although I didn't taste the radishes.  What I DID taste was the lime jalapeño cashew sauce.   Mine wasn't white and creamy.  It was green and HOT.  No one told me not to use the whole jalapeño. Knowing what I know now, I could have made it better, but I'll enjoy the second serving of it Sunday.  I just threw out the taco shells and will eat it like I want to.  

Tomorrow I make the lobster rolls.  

When I went to get the mail, I surprised the cats in the dining room window.  They couldn't believe it, obviously.


This first-floor apartment is an open book for passers-by, but I doubt many of them take the time to look in, and I close the blinds late in the afternoon.  There also is no foot traffic through there that I've seen.  Just the people who live in the building. Noreen brought her guys over to play with the Legos we inherited, and I looked up to see two little faces just looking in my living room window.  Cutest thing ever!

The weather looked promising, but it never rained much and certainly didn't thunder.  I see my old balcony right above the red truck.  I miss Jaime, but I don't really miss living there.  I love parking at the garage and walking right in.  My car is on the left right behind the bushes.


The rest of the family went hiking Sunday at Franklin Falls, and it looked beautiful.  Lots of pictures at the website, but here are some they took.  






















































No comments:

Post a Comment