Monday, August 2, 2021

Business Ladies

 When the girls came over today, they had clutched in their little hands two bags of "beads" and a sign advertising them:  Beads For Sale $1.  They were cute little flowers and watermelons and pies and things made of beads and pressed with an iron to melt them a little and make designs.

I just felt so bad for them, because I figured no one would be interested.  And $1.  I immediately started trying to figure out how to guide them to something else.  No luck though.  No matter what we did or how long I put them off, they were always there in the background ready to sell.  

I told them since they were so little, maybe 50 cents would be a better price - or lower.  After a little consideration of less money as opposed to no sales at all, they decided to remake the sign for a quarter.  They took a little quilt out to the grass and drew a nice design on the sidewalk with glitter chalk and sat down to wait.

Makes my heart so sad.


No one told Suzy and me not to go door to door selling snowflakes cut from magazine pages when I was about that age, and I learned to accept rejection pretty quickly.  I don't think we sold one, but we were not marked by our disappointment, so I thought it would be a good experience for them.

I did alert Susan and Noreen that if they happened to be out, I would advance them a couple of quarters if they wanted to purchase anything.  Noreen was gone to PT, but Susan came immediately and played her part really well.




Emily just sent me a picture of this beautiful sunset behind the garden - and what a garden.  They really outdid themselves this year.


That's enough for today. Tomorrow will be busy, so I need to sleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment