Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Our Busy Day

 It seems like the more that happens, the less time I have to write about it, and I forget half the stuff by time to go to bed.

Probably the most exciting thing today was thunder.  I noticed about 4:30 that it was windy and cloudy, just like there might be a storm brewing - if we had storms.  I never waste an opportunity to use my grandmother's favorite saying for that:  Comin' up a cloud.  There are usually plenty of clouds around, so they hardly ever come up and surprise us, but I think everyone was hoping for some rain.  There have been some fires way too close for comfort, and some of the grass is getting a little crispy.  Not mine though.  Those sprinklers come on like clockwork around 2 a.m. and hiss and gurgle just enough to wake me up.  The grass between my porch and the sidewalk and in the median is emerald green and lush.  

Emily texted me to ask if I heard the first clap of thunder, and I had, and then there were 4 or 5 more.  That cheered people up.  No rain though.  

We were out bright and early for gymnastics, and everyone was in good moods and very conversational.  I love the subjects they bring up and discuss.  Today we had geography.  Is Canada a state or a country?  It's hotter than we are, right?  No, that's South America.  Are there monkeys in South America?  Is Guatemala in South America?  The little girl, Carly, from upstairs came down to do chalk drawing this afternoon, and they went right on with their geography.  Her family had taken a trip and had gone through South Dakota, so the girls were so excited telling her their grandparents lived there.  They haven't seen Mount Rushmore, but Carly has, and they were asking if it was awesome.  I loved hearing those 3 little voices talking.  They had been waving to each other, but this is the first time they had played together, and I think they'll enjoy each other and probably walk home from school together.  

While Graysen did her gymnastics lesson, Katherine and I went to the grocery store.  She wasn't crazy about the idea, but it was better than giving me bored looks for that hour-and-a-half we waited.  She loved it and pretty much asked for everything - but in a fun way - just in case!  It's so interesting to me how quickly they've learned which foods are plant based and will tell me if they don't eat certain things.  I'm learning too.  I told her she had to cover her eyes when we went through the bakery section, and she did it.  She smelled it though.  

After all the activities and after brining in the groceries and putting the garbage cans away, I was ready for doing nothing.  I made their lunches - PB&J sandwiches, watermelon, strawberries, cucumbers (not "skinned"), and dairy-free yogurt.  I took my glass of tea and went to my bedroom for some quiet time.  I heard a lot of music playing and a lot of chatter about dances, and I might have dozed for about 10 minutes.

Yesterday they were obsessed with learning this TikTok Blinding Lights dance challenge.  After a while, Graysen wanted to do a video, but Katherine was either too shy or just not ready.  

This is Graysen's 20-ish-second clip, following the rules of the challenge.  Sadly, the background leaves a lot to be desired with all the furniture disarray still.


And today while I relaxed, Katherine perfected her extended routine - a complete dance recital.  I love their energy so much.


We already have our plan for tomorrow, depending on when they get over here.  It includes playing more with the thousands of Legos our neighbor Susan gave them and taking their reading challenge papers to the library to get their name on the reading mountain.  Or something.  Probably a lot of dancing going on too.  

Susan is moving in less than a week and is on a mission to give me everything she thinks I would like. I have things coming in my front door and boxes to Good Will going out my back.  The toys and games she's brought up have been amazing thought and hard to let go of, I'm sure, plus a box of ribbons and Christmas wrap.  Today she called and said, "I have the cutest...."  I interrupted and said, "No.  I can't take another thing into this apartment."  She sent pictures, and I texted back, "Yes to the fall arrangement.  No to the Christmas one."  I'm a pushover.  I'll miss her.  I might wake up the morning after she leaves and find my front porch filled with the cutest things and toys the children just have to have!





No comments:

Post a Comment