Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Sunshine and Hope

 In more ways than one, today is a bright and optimistic day.  It certainly can't get much worse - for our country, for our people, even personally.  I'm ready for new thoughts and new hope.

I'm tired of being angry because of a would-be dictator trying to take over and divide our country.  For all the people still supporting the racism and lies, the anger and vengeance and lack of common decency that are hallmarks of the former president, I have nothing else to say.  I don't care who in the world people vote for - what party they belong it, what religion they belong to, what their favorite foods are - but the people who still support this man and his ideals, I don't really have enough in common with you to even carry on a conversation.  If his supporters don't believe in his ideas and his policies, why are they still spreading the lies about a free and fair election being taken away?  Do they believe one man's lies above all common sense?  Or have they bought into the conspiracy theories that any thinking person can discredit with a little research?  His propaganda goes a long way with people who can't think for themselves.  

We still may not make it as a country, but we did dodge a potential crisis on January 6th.  I have no idea how the new president and his policies will work out.  I do have faith that Biden will work as hard as he can and not be caught up in petty games and tantrums.  I think I know that much about the man.  In fact, I can't think of many people who would have been allowed to wreak havoc for 4 years and allowed to do so uncurtailed like the former president, and let's hope we never have to see anything like this again.  

This is a new beginning in so many ways.  I'm nearly six weeks out from my surgery and, if I'm lucky, may get the green light to drive Friday.  I have a new car sitting outside my garage just waiting for my first trip.  I hope I still remember how to drive.  Scary.  I'm sure the day I get permission to drive, we'll have that big snow that I keep hearing about.  It's okay.  I can wait.

Tomorrow afternoon, if all goes well, I'll get my first dose of the Covid vaccine, which is the first step in getting my life even more back to normal.  Once I get the second dose, and if we still practice safety measures, I'll be able to pick up the girls from school on Wednesday and actually spend some time with them.  We'll have a ton of stuff to catch up on.  It's been hard to follow the guidelines for being safe, but when you look at the overall picture, it will all have been worth it if we come out ahead in this fight with the pandemic.

It still disappoints me when I see how people are politicalizing mask-wearing and just common safety measures.  I'm really pretty proud of being scared enough of contracting a deadly disease that I don't feel like "they" are taking my freedom away by asking me to protect myself and others.  I have life still to live.

So there's hope around me.  I'm going to start petitioning for an apartment on the first floor.  I probably won't be so scared of stairs after a while, but maybe it's time.  I'll have to give up a bedroom and my balcony, but I look to gain some other things - like entry through a garage instead of going around to the side of the building and a small porch for my rocking chairs!  I'm praying those little things work out and that it's a nice peaceful spring and summer.  

These simple pictures are really a big deal for me.  I've been forced to wear a sling now for nearly two months or suffer painful consequences moving my arm away from my body.

Just looking at the bottom pictures agonized me for a few days, but now I'm pretty excited that I can do a little bit of it.


 Getting a little help from Bowie, although I think he's more interested in those tassels.



Off to the grocery store now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment