Thursday, January 28, 2021

Back from Bleakness

 I like saying that, although sometimes life still seems a little bleak.  I don't feel like saying much here any more.  Maybe when I get a little bit more of my life back, I'll feel like taking pictures and keeping up with my life.  Right now, it's PT twice a week and sometimes other doctor's visits thrown in.

It was an especially uncomfortable week last week, seeing the surgeon, getting another x-ray, having PT twice and getting my first vaccine.  Someone expressed surprise that I didn't have a sore arm, but my left arm is going to have to have a lot more abuse that a little injection to make me sit up and take notice.  I hope the second dose on the 13th goes as well as the first.

I got praise from the surgeon on my arm progress, but it sure doesn't seem like I can do what he wants without pain.  He said it would take 9 months to get back to close to normal.  Laura gave me a few more exercises Tuesday, and I've forced myself to do them as much as I can.  There are a lot of them, a lot of repetitions, and a lot of pushing past the pain level, so there's boredom mixed in with the discomfort.  It was nice to have Emily here Sunday afternoon coaching me on the broomstick exercise that I can't seem to get, but she poked me a lot more than Laura ever does.  My sweet babies got to visit too, so that made it all worth while.  

Except for going to the car and mailbox, it's been too cold/windy/rainy to enjoy much outside.  Noreen brought us some chicken lemon orzo soup the other day, and that was worth getting out for!  We've decided walking from my steps to the mailbox is a perfectly fine outing for us right now.  It's nice to be able to ride in the new(er) car with heated seats and new gadgets that I don't know anything about yet.  I might try driving around a little bit this weekend, but I won't be going out of town, so I'll still have to count on Elise to take me.

I'm about to leave to be manhandled in a few minutes.  Maybe I can think of a surprise for Elise and me for the trip home after that 45 minutes of wishing it were over.  Maybe I'll run into Emily today.  She was there Tuesday but didn't know I was there since my usual day is on Monday.  She was treating patients in the room next to mine, but we didn't hear each other the whole time.  

I don't think I even have any pictures on my camera to post, so I'll try to take some today.  

I sent Emily this picture of Luna snoozing in my lap the other night.  


At Emily's suggestion, I did try this, and it was super easy and exciting to wait for the delivery on blustery cold nights.


The cold things were cold, the fruit and veggies fresh, and even the one freezer item was frozen nicely. 

It's not like shopping for specials and using coupons, but the prices aren't a lot different from Safeway.  I've only done small orders until I make sure I know what I'm doing, and everything ordered has arrived exactly in the time frame I pick.  You can even track the driver on the app.  I will do that some more.

Elise and I did stop at Safeway Tuesday.  It was hard to get out in the strong wind, but we were glad we did.  The Mount Si Senior Center in North Bend had sent all us "seniors" from the area a $100 gift certificate for groceries last month - such a nice gesture - and we got most of what we needed with that plus a few extra things for the food bank.

Back in an hour or so maybe.

And it's good to be back.  It was a good morning overall.  My photo opportunities were rare since there are usually people all around, so I took just a few.  

Not too exciting, but here's the passenger view of the new car.  Elise is enjoying driving it, and we're learning.  I didn't get the manual, but it's in the mail, so I should be able to figure some things out.  


The only thing interesting in the elevator at Proliance.


That's our girl.


The long walk to the clinic doesn't bother me since I'm not one of those in the complicated-looking leg apparatuses (not apparati - I looked it up).


Emily came into the waiting room to get her next patient, and he got to meet the famous "momma."  

I enjoyed laughing and talking with Laura, but all the lovely conversation couldn't make up for all the stiffness and pain.  I got a few more exercises added to the regimen, some hard and some not.  I plan to give it a lot of attention this weekend.  I did see a young lady doing the broomstick exercise today, and she didn't seem to be grimacing as much as I do.  She was a lot younger though.  I told Laura my shoulder muscles might not ever have been as loose as she's trying to make them.

So we're safely home with lunch eaten and the nagging feeling I need a nap.  Elise is sorting pictures for me, so maybe I'll join her and try to stay awake until bedtime.  I had a cat head-butting me at 2:30 this morning, so I was looking for her a bird or fish video to distract her when she accidentally called someone.  No harm done. They didn't notice!

I can't find even one more interesting or even half-interesting thing in my life to talk about.  The fact that the little dictator's cult members are still bowing down to him is not so much interesting as disgusting.  It seems to be okay that he tricked them into believing there was a fraudulent election and that he incited them to insurrection.  Nothing to see there - just a day in the life of the unhinged.  Do the Republicans not have anyone else decent to be their standard bearer, or are they all too afraid of him to hold him accountable for his atrocities?  Sad, sad, sad.

Another thing sad to me is that trump followers who are so concerned about "faux news" consistently post articles on social media that are easily fact checked and found to be false, misleading, photoshopped, or otherwise altered to represent what they wish were true.  You can bet if it comes from Fox or Breitbart or Newsmax or whatever those opinion sources are, you can easily find the truth elsewhere - if it's important to do so, that is.  Obviously, the truth doesn't seem to matter as long as it suits their agenda of belittling the first legitimate leader we've had in four years.   It amazes me that those who put up with trump's pathological lying for all these years will invent something - anything - to try to make it look like biden is lying too.  Everyone lies and misrepresents facts in politics, a well-known fact, just not on an hourly basis like the former president.  Seems like all that "unity" talk was just talk.  And what else is new?  I guess it's the new popularity of politicians talking about killing members of the opposite party and making threats to their family members.  What an embarrassment for our country.  I know I should ignore these news items that pop up on my computer, but I do like to remain informed, even when it's awful.  I'm interested in knowing the truth, not excusing crooks and liars, and there are so few to choose from in our government where power and lucrative careers are top priority, not the people who actually make up our country.

But here comes a warm kitty to cheer me up.


I just ran across this photo from the Christmas the Win-Bins spent with us in Montgomery.  It's always been one of my favorites.  Both of these girls will be having birthdays within the next couple of weeks.


Cats and babies.  Two things guaranteed to take my mind off the state of our country and the horror of the pandemic.


No comments:

Post a Comment