Saturday, March 9, 2019

No more.

Looks like I was mistaken about the end of the snow, melting, back to normal, blah, blah, blah.  Layala shares my glassy-eyed look.



It didn't last though, and by the time I had to get out at 3:00, most of it was gone, although when I walked up to get Graysen, there were quite a few flakes falling.

I usually love Friday afternoons, because when Em or Ryan get the girls, it's ME time for 3 days.  But tonight I had agreed to watch the girls while Emily and Ryan volunteered at Beach Blanket Bingo at the school.  It was a fund raiser with bingo and a bake sale and a silent auction.  I think Emily was okay with it when she signed up, but she didn't sleep Thursday night and wasn't too excited about it.  Ryan had never been excited about it.

I walked over and met them at 6:00, and there was a cute marimba? group performing in the lobby, and the all-purpose room was filling up with kids and parents.  I took the girls to distract them a little and walked around and looked at things and got a snack and played with the hoola-hoops.  Graysen is getting better, but it makes you laugh to watch her.  She ran into some friends and teachers she knew.  Emily and Ryan didn't exactly know what they had signed up for, to man the prize table and "help" people figure out the bingo part.  By the time it started, I had sat down with the girls, and Emily brought us a set of cards.

The first round was fun.  People were excited and not as rowdy, and I could help Graysen learn the game and pick out the numbers.  Katherine was fine as long as she had Cheetos to pop into her mouth and some Sprite to drink, but she was pretty wiggly and a little wild with the purple marker.
I got almost no pictures, but this one is perfect.


This is a little bit of what it looked like - without the noise!  


It was fun though, and I think Graysen and I could have gotten into the bingo, but Emily and Ryan were past ready to go when their shift was up, and Katherine had had about enough.

Ryan would kill me if he knew I posted this, but it portrays so clearly his feelings about manning the prize box.  He saw me taking the picture and was about to give me the evil eye!  In case he ever sees that I posted it, I'll have to say he looked pretty handsome dressed in black.


Emily already saw her picture and laughed really hard and then threatened me pretty severely if I showed it to anyone.  

They trailed me in the car as I walked home, yelling, "Thank you, Mimi," from Emily, and "Go back to Alabama," from Ryan.   Fun night and a big step for me walking home after dark with snow on the ground.  It was refreshing though, and I can't wait to start walking again without freezing.  

Elise had taken Layla to the vet for a checkup yesterday afternoon since she hadn't been checked since we got her from the shelter.  Elise was concerned about her snoring and breathing audibly sometimes and being awkward at times.  The vet didn't see any problems, though, and said her mother may have had some problems when she was born.  As social as Layla is, I thought she would love the vet's office and all the attention, but Elise said she hated it.  When she got her home and opened the carrier door, she was under the blanket and looked like this when she pulled off the blanket.



It took her a bit to come out.  I think it's funny, because she's such a crazy cat and doesn't seem to let anything bother her, and she was giving us the cold shoulder for sure.

This morning there is sunshine.  I saw a sweet scene with Layla lying in the window, but by the time I got my camera, she was on the move again.


Biting plant leaves and digging out dirt are her latest fun things, and it's a constant struggle to keep her from doing it.  She was testing me here.  You can see teeth marks from prior battles with the leaves.


Pretty sunshine though.  I'm going to the mailbox and take the recycling down, so I'll see if it's warm enough to take a walk.  It's only 43 degrees, but we have promise of some high-50s weather the end of next week.  

And I certainly am enjoying my free day.  Elise is working for a friend in Mercer Island all day, so I have the house to myself and have washed and dried everything I can find, sheets and all, vacuumed, cleaned and rearranged the kitchen, refilled the bird feeder, and cleaned my bathroom.  Good day's work for me, and those clean sheets will feel nice when I get through with my chores tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment