Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Following Up

 I covered so many things last week that I wanted to remember what happened to our plans and some new things to record.

Unfortunately, this whole week was spent in (unnecessarily) worrying about my wisdom tooth extraction.  It was just so strange, this need for surgery when most people get theirs out young.  I'm not even sure if I mentioned any details here.  I'm sure I did, but I don't want to take the time to find out what.  After I had a routine dental cleaning last year, I developed some sort of abnormality in my far left molar - where a wisdom tooth had been found during surgery about 15 years ago for removal - to be fused to my bone and "impossible" to take out.  My current surgeon had no trouble and wondered why that happened, but I just went with the flow, and they took out the tooth next to my impacted wisdom tooth.  No trouble all those years until then, and even then it wasn't uncomfortable - just a small area where it felt like a tooth was coming in.  I waited until the next 6-month appointment and went back, only to get sent to an oral surgeon.

Having had osteopenia and maybe likely osteoporosis now, I was twice on Fosamax and Alendronate to help with the thinning of my bones, which can also be troublesome in later years when it somehow affects your older bones, especially your jawbones.  Two dentists have mentioned it to me, and, of course, I had added it to my worry section of the brain that in case I ever had to have jaw surgery, I might be in trouble.  So here I was looking it right in the eye and imaging all sorts of bone grafts and years of healing - if not worse - especially when I heard the word biopsy in the surgical instructions.  I'm not making light of this.  I haven't heard from the biopsy yet, but I have more faith in the surgeon after having the procedure done and talking to him.  Or having Emily talk to him since I don't even remember seeing him the day of the surgery.  

There will be no pictures ever of me with my mouth full of gauze and an ice pack wrapped around my head like a big white hairband, but I was not too concerned.  I asked Emily if I was too crazy on the way home, and she said I was just normal, which somehow doesn't answer that question.  She said we did talk about medieval broth and chicken bones once though.

I think the worst part of the whole day was the IV, and I'm usually preparing for the serious faces and sometimes panic on the faces of people who take my blood samples or put in IVs.  Mama's veins were the same way, and I think it's harder on the phlebotomist that us.  No one seemed too worried, but after tries in both arms, the first nurse gave up and turned me over to the other one.  They were gentle, and it didn't bother me, but they were so concerned and kept bringing up subjects they thought would distract me.  When they found out I had cats, they entertained me with tales of their cats and asked questions about mine, but it just didn't work.  I offered up the backs of my hands as a choice, and I'm really not sure why they were reluctant to try there.  When I had my cataract surgery this summer, that happened fairly soon, and on the next visit, they just went straight to my hand.  They must have a stricter schedule than this office.

After a few more tries, the nurses decided the doctor could come try.  She was very sweet, and her name was Dr. Brown, but she was not my surgeon.  I just kind of go along with things and figured out they knew which was which.  She finally found a vein on the side of my arm near my elbow, which is a new spot, but it worked, and that took care of getting me ready for anesthesia.  I was really a little concerned there would be talk of having something that didn't required an IV, but that would be a deal-breaker for me.  Anything to do with bones, I do not want to be awake at all.  Or with my mouth open.  Before I realized that they would not have to go to another medical office to find someone else, Dr. Brown asked me to take some deep breaths for her to test it.  The next thing I remember is someone telling me to open my eyes, that they were going to get a wheelchair.  I was still under the impression we were still waiting on a vein, so I said, "Where are we going?"  Dumbest question of the day!  Answer was, we're finally getting this troublemaker out of our office!  

So I've been home, pretty much alone and even out for a few hours of babysitting yesterday without a single bit of pain.  The bleeding stopped within 12 hours probably, and I've just had a dull headache in spite of taking some Advil for any expected discomfort.  There's something about getting through an ordeal that you've dreaded and realizing you've survived it that give you (me, anyway) an extra shot of adrenaline.  I can't remember what I did, but I first got some food that Emily made for me as soon as we got home.  I think it was awful boxed chicken broth - that I added nothing to,  Maybe some yogurt and a popsicle.  I've missed coffee and tea and all good food.  No caffeine, carbonation, or hot things for a week, so that limits me some.  I did get some little protein shakes that were not good, but I wonder if anything would have been good.  I tried make decaf coffee with some milk and part of the chocolate protein shake, and nope, that didn't do it either.  It's probably good, because anything I've tried to drink has ended up on my shirt or chin.

I think this is going to be a good day thought since there's no numbness and no gauze and no ice to wear around.  I still have to swish some vile-tasting mouthwash around twice a day, but that makes me feel like any germs that got in there are being well destroyed.  

Noreen, who knows me well, gave me two little jars of Oui yogurt, which are bought not only for the flavor - mine is raspberry - but for the fact that their containers are cute little jars that you can turn into vases or anything holders.  There's also a chocolate-covered yogurt bar that Katherine and I sampled yesterday.  That's to save for when I really need a soft-foods boost.

That's been my favorite thing along with some Safeway clam chowder, which was good, but I was a little concerned over the little pieces of potato and clam in there.  It worked though and was much better than the broth.  I made a packet of cheese mashed potatoes last night which were just okay, as expected.  Emily makes good mashed potatoes, so she's promised me some of those when she has some time.

The only thing I've asked for for my birthday is that the girls take me to the Swirl down the street for a frozen yogurt.  I've been taking them there since they were old enough to hold a cup, so it's payback time.  The store has been under a couple of other names but in the same location.  I usually just supervise the cup-filling and try to avoid paying for toppings of gummy sharks and M&Ms that they know they can't finish.  I think in these 7 or 8 years, I've only gotten one taste - when they had peach - so I think it's my turn to have a real cup.  I did taste some boba things one day and like those, so I'm already planning my attack.  Our big problem will be when we'll fit it in with all their after-school activities.  It may be this weekend, but that will be even better.  

And that's enough about my head repairs.  First got the cataracts behind me - but no new glasses yet - and now have this surgery over with.  I'm still waiting to hear about the biopsy, but Emily was told my gums looked healthy, for whatever that's worth.  So we wait a little longer.  

Maybe we'll try a picnic at Mike's Tree.  I found a news article about the City of North Band planning a new development for the area.  I thought I had mentioned that here but don't see it.  Some condos and apartments have already gone up nearby, and it looks like some decisions are going to be made soon.  I hate to lose our place.  The actual tree looked bad last year and was losing limbs.  It's so special though, and just picking out another area is not going to be as nice.  Not much we can do about it, I guess, especially if the tree is dying.  That whole area is so beautiful though - the surrounding mountains and the tall fir streets, the Snoqualmie River running alongside and that big swath of pastureland perfect for little girls and a dog to run in.  I might have to find another place besides St. George's for my ashes when the time comes. 

I'm just melting some candles instead of burning them for some fall flavor and not cooking any anything.  I wonder if everyone is just tired of pumpkin bread.  The office and maintenance workers here seem so happy to get it and even come begging sometimes, but we have a whole new crew now, so who knows what I'll pick for a little gift during the autumn days - maybe cranberry bread or banana bread.  That always seems like a good breakfast gift.  I hope I'll still feeling good as we go into October.  

Noreen and I went out to eat last week at a place I went to long ago but is under new management and has a new name.  Buckshot Honey.  I didn't read the whole menu because Noreen had earlier loved the smoked brisket sandwich with "greens" on the side.  That sounded way good enough for me, so I ordered the sandwich but forgot the greens, which were collards.  I never liked those growing up better than turnip greens, which I like very much, so mybe subconsciously I forgot to order them.  She gave me some of hers, and those were the best things on the menu.  Who knew?  With vinegary bbq sauce on them - just like our pepper sauce we always had on the table growing up. 

I'm not sure what the theme is supposed to be - it says barbecue, but it's pushing the Old West theme, not the Southern barbecue flavors I'm used to.  Good sandwich though and big.  I had to bring half of it home.  The sides are where I messed up!  I got potato salad, which again was a quite different salad than I'm used to.  I discovered almost too late that it was much better with that barbecue sauce on it.  I also ordered cornbread because I love it and never get it, but alas it was not my type of cornbreat.  It think it's rude to make cornbread sweet, but this was like a piece of cake.  I tried to trade it to Noreen for the collards she gave me, but she turned it down and said she was not a cornbread person.  I think maybe she needs to try another kind!  There probably wasn't a lot of that in California.  

It was a nice lunch though and good conversation, as usual.  


This is a pretty nighttime picture of it.  When I first noticed it open years ago, it was a soup and sandwich place, much lighter, but I never did eat there.  It's located in Old Snoqualmie, and it seems like I'm always just passing through to get to North Bend or taking someone to school, etc.  I'm glad Noreen introduced it to me.  There's a nice place to eat outside, but it was shaded and a bit too cool for that.  At Christmastime when they have the tree lighting night, that area is filled with open fires and good smells and carolers.  So pretty.  

We left and walked over to Carmichaels Hardware.  Again, I don't go in there much either.  It's very different - kind of like an old-fashioned general store but with a pretty well stocked, it seems, hardware store.  I'm always needing little things I would normally pick up at a Wal-Mart, but there is not one within my driving range, so if I don't want to drive to an Ace Hardware, I just order from Amazon.  As we were poking around in there looking at all the touristy and cute things just floor to ceiling, I remembered that I had a difficult light bulb for a lamp that had burned out.  It's hard to remember the right size when I'm out, but this time I did, and I found it for $4.00.  And it worked.  My last one had a little tip to it that pushed my shade sideways - along with the help of cats knocking it over.  When we first moved here, we were missing a lamp part when we unpacked along with some little electrical piece, so Mike and I went out searching for a hardware store.  He had been up here long enough to know where the nearest Wal-Mart was and wasn't willing to drive that far.  We didn't have much hope for what looked like a little gift shop, but we ended up finding just the right little parts and old-fashioned toys for the babies.  Don't ask me what, but I'm sure they were much appreciated!

I'll catch up on the girl's athletics on the next post.  They're having fun and doing well these past few weeks.       


They were over here briefly one day last week when Graysen had a day off from cross-country.  They came in and got the biggest hugs ever.  I hadn't realized how much I missed seeing them.  The soccer and cross-country events are in locations that aren't easy for me all the time, or the weather is bad, so I've had to skip those, but it looks like the weekend is going to be perfect.

Anyway, they were thrilled to see the decorations up and had to go around and admire every little thing and remember where it was last year or where we got this or that.  The little velvet pumpkins were a big hit, and they picked out 3 or 4 each to take home with them.  Then they opened a little gift bag from Aunt CC that had Halloween wigs and some candy and just trinkets - lip gloss, etc. The best thing was her critiquing of some fashion drawings they had done - Carly and Katherine mainly.  They had asked me to judge each set, and I hate doing that.  It's an awful job.  I can see their hopeful faces and have to pick one is just too hard.  It's fun for them though.  Elise had taken each doll and written her opinion of the clothes or artwork or something on the back, and they spent a long time on that.  





After all that, I got myself a cup of coffee and them a snack, and out came the books.  They take every chance they get to read, and I don't mind if I have to ask for an appointment to talk to them!  I'm so glad they love it. 


 Before long, Katherine was in the chair, and Graysen was cuddled beside me, and it was happy time.  Then Katherine looked at Graysen and patted the chair and said, "C'mere."  They are so precious to me.  I love that they have each other.  Especially when Katherine comes in and tells me she wishes she were in kindergarten where it didn't matter what she wore.  It seems that the girls in her grade (4th!) are all into "trendy" things and popularity, and she just wants to be comfortable in what she wants to wear.  I know how she feels, but I did have to admire her little short skirt and white shoes and necklace.  They are always nicely put together and clean - at first - when they go out, but they do like just pulling old shirts and soft leggings out to wear.  She said Graysen didn't care what people thought about what she wore and she wanted to be more like that.  I hope these girls never hurt someone's feeling because they aren't "in" and accept one another.  Graysen and her friends have come a long way and have gravitated toward friends that build them up instead of leave them out and criticize.

This has taken a long time, so I'm going to do some cross-country videos and soccer game ones to post next.  I don't understand all the rules and what's going on, but it's fun to watch them do what they love.  




No comments:

Post a Comment