Saturday, April 13, 2024

Just Keeping it Going

 I'm thinking about finally starting a new blog since this one has been untrue for 8-1/2 years.  I think Just Keeping it Going might be appropriate now, but sometimes I worry about that part.  I just hope I am able to do it with all the computer changes that have come about.

I am somewhat keeping on, but it's a big change from when I first started.  My life has changed in almost every way - some good, some bad - but lately feeling good has been my main concern.  It seems to be the center of my life - trying to find out why (besides getting older) I have no energy and what I can do about it.  I see my doctor so much that I know she's wanting to find a reason as much as I am.  I will go back Tuesday to see if there is one more lab test I can gladly subject myself to, one more medication we can try, or one more clue we can find to let me just stop centering my life around whether I'm going to have energy to do what's necessary.

And that's it about how I feel - maybe.  It kind of creeps in when I don't really plan to say anything.

Life otherwise is lovely.  I'm still interested in all the things I was before but just don't get much done.  

My blessings are my family and my friends, and that is enough to make me happy every day.  

It has bothered me all year that I haven't kept up with even the small things that have happened in my life.  Just because of that, I've overlooked lots of good mundane things that have made me laugh or given me a lot of contentment.  If I can just post a picture every day and say something, that will be a big plus for me and maybe an encouragement for delving into creating that new blog.  

The thing that works best when I'm overwhelmed with so much going on is to take my last pictures and try to remember what happened then see where that takes me.  So here goes.


This big regal-looking creature is nothing but a huge baby who had been left in my care for over a week while his beloved family took a trip.  I took care of feeding him and got lots of cuddling and face-butting and kissing and sprawling in my lap and covering me with hair.  I tried different games and some treats and sitting around with him for an hour or so.  He seemed appreciative enough, but he was looking out the window, up the stairs, and at the front door a LOT.  After living your whole life with a noisy family and a crazy dog, it must seem like the worst thing ever to be left with a boring Mimi.  As of 3:00 a.m. this morning, at least the human people were back under his roof, so I hope he's doing a lot of purring.

Besides Gus, I took a few pictures at the WinBin home while they were gone.  There is some nice-looking landscaping going on, and I can't wait to see how that's going to end up.  I captured this lonely little beauty on Monday, and the next day the yellow one was blooming.  I can't wait to see how it's going to shape up  There is a healthy Lenten Rose behind this and hostas coming up like crazy.  

 
The barberry bush is one I don't remember growing up with, but I see them a lot here.  They grow all around the apartment complex, and we've come into contact with those sharp little thorns too many times.  This is a pot near their front door with Lenten Rose at the base.  That, the Lenten Rose, was a special plant to Mike and he was very proud of his one plant, so therefore they're special to us too.  I allowed the original traveling one to die, so I'm going to make a special effort to get another one going this year.


There are so many things blooming around town.  The cherry blossoms are especially pretty right now.  This is the little green corner between our houses that is always pretty.



After a good lunch.


The pictures I take of the WinBin kitchen don't do it justice.  There may be some last things to be done, but it's pretty much finished and just perfect for them.  I'll look for a before picture to post with this one.



That island!  It is just beautiful and exactly what they needed for 4 people to be able to eat and sit and craft and cook do whatever they need to do.   The bay window was one of the best ideas for letting in the sun and providing a place for all the cuttings and plants Emily has collected.


I just like to stand here and gaze at this pantry.  I love everything about it, from the tiny sink to the microwave hidden away up high.  Again, lots of thought going into this.  


When looking for a toy for Gus, I found that the former laundry room has been changed into a mud room of sorts.  Not only the girls' shoes and sports equipment but all the pet things and a big space for extra groceries.  Still unfinished, it seems.  I guess the pantry will have doors, but I kind of like it this way, for quick grabs!


Gus in deep thought.


I know I'll have a lot of pictures from Maui.  I got just a few already, and I'll post them here as I have time.

There was a lot of discussion about them buying some plumeria cuttings, and I'm not sure whether they did or not.  Our history of loving plumeria goes back to 1996 when Gray and Stephanie brought us a little plastic bag with what looked like a small log in it.  We planted it in a little black plastic pot, not expecting much, but it did grow.  I'm not sure how long it took for it to grow leaves and then bloom, but it was worth the wait.  I took pictures of it all through the years, getting an inch or so taller every year.

This is the only one I have in my phone.  It was taken in 2006 in Columbus, GA, so it was 10 years old and had branched once.  I miss that little porch and patio and almost everything about that house!


We would forget every year just how beautiful it was when it bloomed.  It wasn't much to look at between seasons - just a long branch stuck in dirt.  I don't even remember how it died, but it lived in Georgia (twice), Mississippi, North Carolina, and Alabama. I hope they got one to try.  I know my porch is too shady for one.


This is how the plumeria looked at their hotel.



Once I get started writing, it's hard to stop, but I need to get a few things done.


UPDATE:  I did get a plumeria, so we can try and see what we can do with it.

Life is back to normal for Gus again.  I got this picture but none of Woodrow.  I don't imagine he would be still long enough.


I did set up a new blog - Just Keeping It Going.  I'll post a link from here as soon as I get everything organized and laid out.  That's hard to believe.  I even wrote my first post. 


No comments:

Post a Comment