Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Finally, a Sleepover

 Once thing I've missed in this past year of being so isolated is the chance to have sleepovers.  We didn't do it enough that it became routine, so it was always a big deal.  There was much thought this week that went into what was packed and brought over in their little luggage set that belonged to their great-grandmother Bindert.  PJs and toothbrushes take second place after blankets and stuffie friends.


Last week was Spring Break, so we planned for them to spend the night on Tuesday night last week.  They had already eaten when they got here, so that was one thing I didn't have to worry about.  They're not eating meat and embracing mostly plant-based foods with enthusiasm, so I'm going to try not to interfere with that.  I'm trying to learn all about it, although I'm not sure I could do it myself.

I think this is the lunch I gave them the next day.  Not half bad for what I had around.  As long as peanut butter and jelly are allowed, we've always got a meal.

I can't even remember what we did for fun.  I guess that's when we started our snow globes and made some jewelry from a kit.  They didn't want to play Go Fish or any other games.  I think they were just too excited to have a few hours to explore all their old toys and play with the cats.

Once they got their sleeping bags and pillows arranged to their satisfaction and got their teeth brushed, they went and found a stack of books to read.  We started with A Terrible Thing Happened at Our House by Marge Blaine.  "Our mother used to be a REAL mother."   Published in 1975.


I'm not sure if the girls like it more because of the story or the pictures of the awful 70s clothing.  It's about a stay-at-home Mom who starts working and throws their lives into upheaval until they all compromise and work together for a happy ending.  

We then read a couple of chapters of Ramona the Brave.  I was sorry to hear that the author, Beverly Cleary, died on March 25th at 104!  She certainly left a wonderful legacy in her books.  At one point, Graysen interrupted to say that she really, really, really missed her mommy.  Emily and I were a little afraid of that happening since she has not been away from her in a year.  

We called mom and talked and thought about a few solutions, but nothing worked but a visit from Mom and Dad to bring brave shirts and hugs.  Luckily they're only 5 minutes away.  She also downloaded a podcast called Sparkle Stories to my phone, and that was magic.  I was already sleepy, so it didn't take much for me.  

The girls chose a story that I can't remember and then Stone Soup.

Katherine made it halfway through Stone Soup, and then she was out.  Face-washing is optional on sleepovers!


Graysen and I finished Stone Soup, and she was more content but still not quite ready to sleep.  I asked her if she wanted to sleep with me, and she hopped right up and tucked herself in.

It didn't take long, thank goodness, and she was out.  Nothing in this world sweeter right now than these babies.  They're growing so fast, but right now I'm enjoying every minute I can get.

The next morning, Katherine (who had had to sleep on the floor) was up by 7:30, so we went off in search of breakfast and conversation.  Lots of conversation.  She is pretty chatty anyway, especially when she is the only child and has blueberry bagels.   

Over the weekend, there was a making of Stone Soup, and I got a bowl delivered to my door.  Delicious.

It seems the girls made this by themselves, included the cutting of the vegetables.  I have to admit that their learning to use a knife scares me to death, but they have calm and reasonable parents, so that was a good lesson for them.


Great-grandmother Eleanor's apron.


It's going to be another warm day, and Noreen and I are taking our coffee and tea to the pool area to visit in the sunshine this morning.  Both of us have shady porches/balconies, so we need to get out there and bask in the warmth.  

It's nice not having PT for a full week.  I'll have to do my exercises faithfully so I can keep the once-a-week visits.  I'll miss Laura - the conversation and laughs but not the pain.  When she brings out that measuring instrument, I know I'm in for a rough time.  

I'll keep the girls this afternoon and probably walk to a park - or drive.  Whatever they want to do.  Sunshine and freedom!




No comments:

Post a Comment