Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Facing Forward

 I know it's not going to happen overnight, but I'm so ready for life to somewhat resemble what it did a year ago.

Although it's been unreal what we've had to get used to, we are so thankful we've all stayed healthy - except for my one pretty significant blip there.  Emily and Ryan have balanced work and childcare and school the best they could, and, looking back, it could have been much worse.  I've been on the outside looking in on decisions, and that's been a good thing.  I would hate for anyone to ask for a major decision on my part in the last few months.

But now we have sunshine and school starting back for the girls hopefully in the fall.  They have had so many experiences that lots of kids their age never have during this year, and all the time together has a family has had a positive effect on them.  

I've been inundated with pictures lately that I have to sort through and post and write about and calendars to update since we've zeroed in on a plan for me for the rest of the school year.

Today I have to concentrate on a pretty busy shoulder day.  I see Laura before lunch for PT.  I'm up and down on meeting my goals but had stiffened up last week.  My latest pain is grabbing the back of my head with my right arm and stretching my whole arm backwards.  That is NOT fun.  I know I'm going to be asked to do it today, and that makes me a little tense.  

After that, I'll take a break and then go downstairs to see Dr. Marshall.  This will be the last x-ray before he releases me - unless there is something wrong - and then it will be up to me to see how far I can get in my rehab.  Looks like I'll be going to PT once a week for another month or two.

For the good news, I now have a schedule for the rest of the school year with the girls.  Up until now, I've just waited for someone to say they needed me for this or that.  Now that I have booster seats and car seats set up, I'll pick up after school 3 or 4 times a week and deliver somewhere.  

Monday I'll get Katherine into her soccer things and head for North Bend for her practice and/or games.  She had her first practice today and enjoyed it.  Graysen played two years ago and decided it wasn't her sport.  That's the year she was the only girl on an already-established team for the first half of the season, and no one let her touch the ball - plus she had little coaching since the boys already knew what to do.


I think she's ready and tough but with a feminine touch.

Basketball is Graysen's chosen sport, but she's on a wait list for that.  Scheduling might get a little interesting when that opens up.

Tuesdays are gymnastics for both of them.  I'll pick up early from school and deliver to the gym where we have two hours of fun - for them.  My job is entertaining and/or feeding the one who is waiting for her sister's class to be over.  I love every minute with them now though, especially at this age where it's more conversation than activity and fussing about snacks.  I don't believe I've taken one picture at the gym this year.  It's quite busy, and they always seem to be pretty far away from me.  I've watched them on the balance beam, and they both look great - to my unpracticed eye.  They don't fall much anyway.  They love the trampoline and are doing more flips and tricks and stuff than they have in the past.  I'll try to zoom in and capture them in action soon.

Wednesdays are early pickup at 11:00, but Noreen and I are enjoying our morning coffee on this one free morning we both have, so Ryan will pick up, and I'll join them for the afternoon.  That's the only time we have to play and do some activities.  Graysen has to stop for her piano and ukulele lessons at 4:00.  

Thursdays - we don't know about that.  I might need a day off or that might be basketball day.  We'll just have to wait and see.

Emily is off on Fridays, so she will be picking them up then.  

The summer will change completely, and we'll have to see how much energy I have for keeping them longer every day.  They'll have tennis during the summer along with maybe some of these other activities.  They like going to the park and riding bikes and skating, but I want some days where we just have nothing to do but play.  The library is now open, so I know there will be some activities there plus the farmer's market with their story times and plays.  And the apartment pool will open this summer too.

Hopefully, it will work out for a ground-floor apartment to become available by July, and I'll have moving to add to the list.  There's no chance of being bored, for sure.

The family went to Anacortes to the Tulip Festival last weekend and sent so many beautiful pictures.  I'll try to get them sorted out, but here are a couple.









In 2012 when we came up for a visit, we visited these gardens and were amazed at the beauty.  Our day was rainy and cool and really muddy, but we still couldn't believe our eyes.  We just didn't know how much better it could get.  This beautiful day with these two added blessings must have been extra special.  

It's now time for making that grocery list and preparing for this busy week.  Too bad the sunshine is going away for a while, but it will still be fun.





No comments:

Post a Comment