Sunday, December 8, 2019

Holiday Activities

We had two nice events this week that I was not expecting to turn out as well as they did, knowing how weather and children are sometimes unpredictable.  Not to mention my level of excitement (or lack of) about things that cut into my reading and wasting time.

On Friday afternoon, my friend Debbie had invited the girls to go decorate her little tree.  Since they sold their house and moved into an apartment, she had gotten a prelighted tree just the right size and some unbreakable ornaments.  I told her I would ask them, and we would see what their Friday afternoon looked like.  I was afraid Emily already had plans for them since she gets off work early on Fridays.

But they had nothing, and when I asked them, they were jumping up and down with excitement.  I told them they could decorate the whole tree and there would be Christmas music and cookies, and they were totally into it.

Friday was Pajama Day at Graysen's school, and when I picked her up at 1:30 (Early Release Friday), she was ready to start, but we had to wait until Katherine got out at 3:15.  When we got home we walked up to Debbie's apartment, and she greeted us with a pretty table and an empty tree just ready for them.  To add icing to the cake, there were COLORED lights.

They worked really hard with a lot of discussion and a lot of laughing, and Katherine only tripped over the cord twice and turned the lights off.
















Then there was the reward:  Christmas cookies, pretzels, popcorn, and grape Crystal Lite.  I have to admit I was a little worried about that grape drink and those placemats, but they were super polite and careful and just had a great time.


Mr. Steve was to put the tree on the table when he got home, but we got a picture through the door when we passed by on the way home.  It was just the best way to pass a nice afternoon, and we are glad Debbie thought about them.




Saturday was overcast with what sounded like rain all morning, but I enjoyed the day.  I woke up with a sore throat at 3:00 and was afraid I was getting sick like Elise, but I took a Tylenol PM and slept fairly late but woke up with no sore throat.

I knew the Win-Bins were all going to the tree lighting in Downtown Snoqualmie that night and asked me to go, but I was holding my options open.  I didn't want to stand in rain waiting for long, but I wanted to be there to watch the girls enjoy it.  I decided to put on a few layers of clothing and just do it.  The two pairs of socks and furry boots made all the difference.  I didn't get a bit cold, even with a little drizzle, and it was a really fun night.  I don't think it was exactly what the girls were expecting, because we went early to find parking and ended up exhausting our town tour before the actual lighting of the tree.



 There was a middle school orchestra and an adult one later where Graysen saw her music teacher and waved at her.



 Cookie decorating.


An ice carving demonstration.



All the old trees at the depot were decorated as well as the trains.



Katherine and I pass this wheel twice a day during the week, and she was fascinated to be up this close to it.


It was about this time that we saw the Grinch ambling down the street with his bag of treats.  Both girls froze, and Graysen said, "I don't want to see him," but he came over anyway and asked if they would like some candy.  Graysen was brave enough to peer into his bag and then say, "No, thanks, I already have one of those (candy cane)."   Katherine gave her a look that said, "Speak for yourself," but the Grinch got a big laugh.

We went across the street to see the booths set up.  Emily and I wished we could have had more time to see what was there, but there wasn't too much to interest the girls.


I need to bring them back to Carmichael's Hardware.  It's been awhile since I've been in there, and it is amazing how much interesting stuff they can put in that little space.  


While Emily was off with Katherine and Ryan was looking at a woodworking booth, Graysen and I found a bench by this fire and watched a jazz band warm up.  She was mesmerized by them and ended up dancing along with some others.  


 We ended the night listening to these folks sing beautiful Christmas carols.  If I had missed coming, I wouldn't have had the joy of sitting on a bench with Graysen in my lap, listening to her sing along so sweetly.


Katherine enjoyed it too.


I love getting to share these moments in the girls' lives and hope they will remember it as fondly as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment