Sunday, December 15, 2019

December Sunday Morning

Early Sunday morning.  I've started being unable to stay awake at night around 6 p.m or so and just going to bed.  I then wake up around 10 pm to midnight and just do whatever I want to.  I was downloading and printing last night and reading and answering a few emails.  I wrapped a couple of last-minute gifts and made plans for the sleepover tonight.  I'd love to get back in a normal pattern of sleep, but this is what works for me lately, and no one seems to care.

So the sleepover tonight has been discussed a lot the past two weeks and counted down, and it's finally here.  I'm not sure why this particular night was chosen, but it's fine.  I think Emily has had a killer weekend as far as things to do and places to go, and she needs this time to catch up on her own preparations.

What will we do, I wonder?

I printed these in the middle of the night.  They're not quite finished, but I still have time.


Games are still kind of tricky since Katherine does not like losing - at all.  Graysen is better at it, and I think we can enjoy small doses of it.

These are the gifts I decided to have them open tonight.  They're getting so many gifts that we want to spread them out a little so they can enjoy each one.  I'm not sure about these, so we'll see how they go over.


The small ones are some Hatchimal eggs that I noticed in Target last month.  Anything they can open up and be surprised is always a hit.  The larger one is a set of card games.  I'm persistent, if nothing else, in working on playing games!


One of the problems with card games is that the girls are unable to hold their cards in their small hands, so I'm hoping these holders will help.  They already like Go Fish, and Graysen is obsessed with Old Maid, so I think this is a good group for their ages.  We'll get Aunt CeCe involved too.  She's a good card player and has infinite patience with them.

We have corn dogs and mac and cheese in the house, their chosen dinner, as well as popcorn, cookie dough for making sugar cookies, and even some healthy food.


Elise found these little apples, and they're perfect for us with no waste, and everyone loves the little clementines or tangerines or whatever they're called this year.

The girls really, really want to do clay today, and I promised them they could, even though I don't really want to get it out right now.  It's more like a summer thing when we have more time.  But they love the videos of their favorite clay maker RachyH, and then they like to open the clay and try to make the things she does.  We might have enough already planned, and since it's a school night, we'll be getting in bed early (hopefully).  We always have pancakes and eggs for sleepover mornings, and then they're off to school, and I can assess the damage and clean up.

I did accomplish my Saturday project, but it took most of the morning.  I picked up a kit for making 4 gingerbread houses from Rooster Valley for the kids to decorate tomorrow.


Each little house had to be broken apart and then "sanded" smooth with a knife.  That took a bunch of time.  They weren't at all fragile, but each side did take a little time. That's 4 houses x 4 to 7 pieces for each house x 4 to 6 sides each.


Of course, the pieces didn't fit together perfectly, and I spent too much time on the first one angling the side so the roof would fit, but then I decided they were going to be covered totally with mounds of icing and sprinkles, so I relaxed and did the best I could.


They're recognizable as houses, I think.  I'm just so thankful I don't have to be there for the decorating part.  But I do want to see pictures.  I need to hide these before the girls get here so they won't want to decorate them and deliver them in the morning.  I've gotten them houses in the past to decorate but not this year.  I might let Emily enjoy that with them!

The paperwhites are finally starting to grow.  This is a gift to Emily along with the pot that I've always used to force them.


She already knows about it, because I planted the extra bulbs in the package in a regular pot in the kitchen.  It gives Elise nightmares.  The first week, they looked like claws coming out of the dirt, but they're showing a little promise too.


Emily came over last week and saw them in the kitchen, and said, "Oh, you already have some.  I was giving you some for Christmas."  I told her that was her gift too, but then in the conversation, I realized that she's giving me amaryllis, and she doesn't remember what paperwhites are, so we'll both have something nice to enjoy in January.

Another decorated plant.



I haven't had time to enjoy the Seattle Times this morning, but I did pull out my favorite section.  I should just save the book section for way in the future when I read all the ones I already have on my request list, but this looked interesting.




I don't even remember what Gone Girl is about, but I do remember it was the book everyone was eager to read.  I'll have to go back and read it again maybe.  I think I didn't like it as much as I was supposed to.  I enjoy psycho-thrillers, I think they're called, with plots and twists and stuff, so I'll check out some of these.  I did read The Woman in the Window and The Girl on the Train and like them.

I'm reading Seven Days of Us by Francesca Hornak and enjoying that pretty well.  Four members of a family are quarantined during Christmas because of one of them just finishing up a medical tour working with a dangerous disease.  Obviously, three more people join them.  I've met two so far.  It's not scary but more the dynamics between family members and family members to be and a previous unknown family member.  I like the descriptions of the English Christmas and the impressions seen through the eyes of all the characters.


I'm not sure what The Gifted School is about, but I know it was recommended by a lot of people, and it's taken me months to get it in at the library, so I'll give it a try.

So what else did I do with my weekend?

I played Mah-Jongg online and won some games and learned some more.  Debbie and I went to the Y Thursday and played and had a great time.  I won another game, which always makes me feel good since I'm the new girl.

I finished the doll stockings and Layla's stockings, but I don't have a picture of them.  Elise and I are trying to figure out what to put in doll stockings.  I have two pair of sunglasses and some underwear that are small enough to go in a stocking, but I'm not sure the dolls (or their owners) really want to get underwear.  I found a neat printable for a doll-size book and got it all printed and ready for gluing, but then on the cover, I found out I'm missing a color cartridge and had to order one.

It's pretty fiddly and does involve a lot of glue and precision, but I'm going to try it next week.
Image result for american girl mini book grinch



IImage result for american girl mini book grinch

I think I mentioned that I can't stop starting new projects - even in the middle of the night.  I also saw that you can make doll-size bowls of mac and cheese and even the box.



I'm definitely going to do the Chewy Bars, because the girls love those, and it looks like something I can do.  It does involve glue, but it's too cute not to try.



I have to get busy and make sure we're ready for when they get here.  I found out that Emily has to make tons of cookies for a cookie exchange at the clinic and needs the house all to herself.  As long as I'm not involved in baking cookies - besides slice and bake ones - I'm willing to do anything to contribute.

Layla is checking out the reading quilt.  I'll probably find her taking a nap on it later.



Except for the gifts hiding in the garage, we're ready!



No comments:

Post a Comment