Sunday, December 1, 2019

Happy December

I was lying in bed this morning listening to the wind howl and being so thankful to be in a warm place.  I read a weather article about our chances for a white Christmas and then got up to find out it was actually snowing today.  I knew there was a chance, but it's 40 degrees and too wet for it to stick.  It's still pretty though, and I enjoy seeing it swirl around.


The girls are worried that I don't have a bigger tree and that I only have GOLD ornaments.  They have no concept of my life before now and that I had a normal big tree with all the sentimental ornaments for 48 years and that this was my little fun tree - which suits me perfectly right now in this cozy space.  All the other ornaments are dispersed to the younger generation, and I'm left with what's easy and manageable and fits my space.  Besides, I love the warm gold and lights.

I didn't mean to capture people in my picture, but this is too funny.  I zoomed in and saw that these folks are wearing shorts and look like they didn't get the snow memo either.  They're probably arguing about who's going to make the trip to Starbucks and who's going to walk the dog.  


Layla's climbing tree is going to the garage for December.  She doesn't use it much, but if she does, it puts her way too close to the mantel and garland and stockings.  So far, she's not bothered the tree but is curious about all the new objects sitting around.


I have such high hopes for this month and not getting caught up in anything I don't want to do.  I have all my gifts bought and wrapped - the ones that have arrived.  There will be a few drifting in, but the decisions have been made, and it's now time for everyone to change their minds about what they want.  Too bad!

My morning is perfect so far.  


I'm expecting the Starbucks Holiday Blend coffee to be delivered any day now.  Elise and I look forward to that every year, but this morning's Nantucket blend is quite good.  I've finally learned to drink it black - almost.  I do add about a teaspoon of sugar-free vanilla creamer, and that seems to be the taste I like.

I've brought in my big ole Seattle Times and ready to dive in.


 I usually head straight to the book reviews and make a list of books I want to request from the library and then do the Sudoku.  It's a hard one, kind of like the New York Times Crossword.  I never have the patience to try to finish it, but I do like starting it!  I love a clean slate!



I'm saving the crossword for this afternoon and working on my planner later on.  Another clean slate!


I have a lot I want to get done this week, but my fun things are coffee with Debbie Tuesday morning and Mah Jongg Thursday afternoon.  I guess that will be fun.  I'm still such a beginner that it's a little stressful, but I found an online version and manage to beat the computer sometimes.

I think we go down to Snoqualmie downtown to see the tree lighting Saturday night.  I'll be doing a little layering for that occasion!  There's 97% chance of rain but temps in the 40s.  So there's that.

The girls will be here in the afternoons a couple of days, but they will be completely immersed in the new Christmas things, so I doubt they will need me.

The Advent calendar is ready for them.  Theirs at home has candy, but mine only has an ornament to put in the pocket, so it's a little boring, but they like to dig in the little bag and pull out their favorites first.  It was fun to make and cheery hanging in the hall by the kitchen.


This is their main place during December, and they couldn't wait for me to get out the manger.  We only had about 15 minutes last week to unpack things and set it up on the desk, so they'll head over there as soon as they get here.


I found the Santa salt and pepper shakers here this morning along with some carolers and sledders.  Layla's time-out crate also sits here - and is well used.


The Iron Bowl was noted in the newspaper.  I don't usually open the sports section, but I thought I would see if they had anything about college football.  It was all Apple Cup and the Seahawks, but I found this:


I sewed while the game was on, but Elise kept me informed.  I can always tell what's happening, because she talks to the boys and cheers them on.  "You're doing great.  Come on.  You can do it."  And then her big laugh and scream when something good happens.  She calls me in to look at plays, but after one of them, Alabama immediately scored afterward, so she refused to let me back in.  Once I just appeared in the kitchen, and something bad happened.  I did see the end though, as I walked in to see the missed field goal and all the excitement of the last two minutes.

Poor Emily and Ryan really get into the games, but they had two engagements that cut their watching and cheering short.  Between them, Emily managed to make her victory lap down the street.


The Win-Bins got their beautiful tree Friday morning.  Early.  Cold.  Memories.  So much joy.  I'll add those pictures tomorrow.  

I'd better get another cup of coffee and start on my Sudoku.  I do hear a FedEx truck stopping downstairs.  I can't tell you how much I appreciate Amazon and Target and Walmart and free shipping.  If I need in-person shopping, I'll go to Hobby Lobby and get some wrapping paper and ribbons.  I do have a couple of interesting gifts that I'll have to do in person but more of that later.  

I just saw this on the community page.  I've heard about it and put it on my calendar since they ride by with a block of my place.  Looks like fun.  I imagine Emily will be all over riding on the tractor!

5th Annual Horses Christmas Caroling on the Ridge will be happening on Saturday 12/14!
Our route is below in case you want to come watch. We sing poorly (and potentially not at all) but do bring bells, fun, and ponies to the Ridge. We anticipate being near the Safeway at 2-2:15pm and briskly walking the loop. As always, we welcome any folks who want to walk or ride on the tractor with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment