Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Winter is Now Here

And we are cold.  I mean, really cold.  It might be in the 40s, but all of us are feeling like it's about 20, even the children, and they usually hardly notice.  It's the cold wind in the face that gets me, because I can layer and have warm feet, but nothing helps that wind in the face.  I saw a sweater with what's called a funnel neck that looks like it might do the trick.   This sweatshirt with the drawstring might work even better.  I could pull it up and tie it over my nose.

_m

I was actually kind of joking about that funnel neck, because I hate turtlenecks and high necks on clothes, but this has gotten me interested.

Mount Si had a little dusting of snow yesterday morning.


Katherine has Pajama Day at her school all week, and she's loving it.  She wore her Paw Patrol nightgown on Monday that Grandma and Grandpa Bindert sent her, and yesterday had five pairs of pajamas laid out in a row.


This is what happens when you have hand-me-downs - a full wardrobe of Christmas PJs.  I embroidered some of these when I was living in Montgomery, so they do have some age on them.  Just glad I didn't get carried away with the monogramming.  That's Graysen's foot showing off her dog bone Christmas socks.

When I got upstairs, Katherine had put the day's outfit up on her bed and told me that was a stack.


Graysen was showing me her class assignment - to disguise their gingerbread person so the fox wouldn't eat it.  



The things they think and say are so funny, just things you never even think about.  I was asking about what some other disguises were, and the only thing she said was, "I was a little bit scared because people were saying there was a real gingerbread man on the playground, and I didn't want to see him.  But Rachel told me there wasn't, so I wasn't afraid any more.  I reminded her that the Gingerbread Man was just a story and not real, like TV movies and cartoons weren't real.  She said, "Oh, but Gingerbread Men are.  Last year at pre-K, we put our gingerbread men in the oven and were working on our calendar (what a memory!), and when it was time to get him out, there was just a note saying - I saw what you were working on and knew you were going to eat me, so I ran away.  Here's a clue.'   We all went downtown to look for him, and I was afraid of seeing him."  I also reminded her that when she found him, she ate him, so that wasn't real.  She just smiled at me knowingly.  Katherine was sitting there listening to the whole thing and storing up who knows what anxieties about the gingerbread men to go with her fear of nutcrackers and Santa Claus.  

They found a perfect tree and decorated it Monday night.  Emily sent me so many pictures.  I think they had a pretty good time.  I'll try to download some.  

Monday afternoon, Emily came over to help me decorate my balcony, which is much easier than all those wreaths and garlands I used to hang on various houses through the years.  I had a hard time doing it myself, but she whipped it out in a few minutes and then did a Christmas cheer to celebrate.



She does get into the spirit of things.


I had made the sausage balls I promised for Thanksgiving and failed to do, so that lured Ryan over here in a hurry, and I got him to bring up my Christmas decorations.

I put the tree on the table, and the lights went up without Layla seeming to notice. It needs  a lot of work, but we'll see if she jumps up and turns it over before I add any ornaments.  Nothing shows light misplacements like a photo.


I had to shoot Layla once with the spray bottle of water, and she hasn't been back in that area.  She tries so hard to understand, and we do have her using her scratching posts more than the ottoman finally.  After a hard afternoon with the children, this is what she wanted to do.




The activities yesterday included putting her under a plastic box and hand-feeding her treats.  



This carpet and kitchen floor are awful, but even though I've been here 3 years, the manager says they won't replace it until I leave.  Thanks a lot!  


It's 4:00 a.m., so I think I'll go to bed - for the second time.  The first sleep was from about 6:00 p.m. to 10:00.  I got up and got a glass of tea and worked on a court dictation and some other things, so now I'll go sleep another 3 hours.  If I can.  I know it's not healthy, but when I have to sleep, I have to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment