Saturday, May 4, 2024

Flower Time

 This is usually the weekend Emily and I reserve for our former annual Carnation Plant Sale in Carnation, WA.  We've had several years of driving over and just losing ourselves in the flowers, vegetables, baskets, and everything festive about spring.  It doesn't matter that it has rained every single time; in fact, that's part of it.  It gives a feeling of camaraderie among the shoppers.

This year, life got in the way, and we discovered the plant sale was the same Saturday Ryan and Emily were to pick up their plants for the landscaper working on their front bed.  Not a big problem though since they were going to Mount Si Nursery.  It's a beautiful place, as you can see from the pictures, and we haven't been there in many years.  I think Mike was with us the last time we went.

Graysen had a playdate scheduled, so Emily and Katherine picked me up a little after 9:00, and Ryan took the truck.  The first thing we saw when we drove up was a CAT!  Katherine headed straight for it and gave it some loving.  It turns out the cat's name was Atomic Kitty, or AK, and he swirled around our legs and brushed up against us nearly the whole time we were there.




















The koi pond was another attraction that we enjoyed.  Not only were there large and small fish, but Kate sighted a turtle right underneath the water.  Looking straight at us.  I'm glad she told me what it was, because it would have terrified me if I had seen it first.  That face!







Just a few of the many pretty things we saw.  


I do love the Japanese maples, and they had so many. 


I can't believe the size of some of these trees.


Mount Si background.


I don't have enough sunshine on my porch to even consider geraniums, and they are my favorite.


Ryan and Emily putting the last touches on their order and Katherine chasing after AK.


Kate and I went into two greenhouses.  In the first one, we discovered Black Magic petunias and Galaxy petunias (K's name for the speckled ones).  Except for the prices, which were probably reasonable for the quality, and my limited place to plant, I would have gotten one of each type and more.  




These are mine and Emily's collections at one point.  I was concentrating on different varieties of coleus to bring some color to my shady porch.  Katherine fell in love with this color of Gerbera Daisy.  I told her how it was one of her great-grandmother' Eleanor's very favorite flowers, and so she got one to take home.  


It's really a pretty place and just so full of beautiful plants and decorations.  Kate decided as soon as she got in that she wanted a hummingbird suncatcher, and she ended up with her original choice - a many-colored one.  


When I let Bowie out tonight, I discovered that my plants had been delivered by Ryan.  I tried out this New Guinea impatiens in a white pot that had held an amaryllis at Christmas.  I think this is perfect for it, and I'm in awe of that beautiful color and the markings.


I tried out the miniature Christmas tree in it too, but I think I'm going to put in a coleus pot.  


My hydrangea is not blooming yet, but it's not the usual mophead variety.  The blooms are shaped like lilac blooms but are watermelon colored.  I'll get the details tomorrow.  

Even though I had a nap, I'm still more than ready to sleep.  I'm just proud of myself that I made the effort to get out and stand and walk a good bit.

I didn't work on the new blog since writing about it last month, but I can still type here with no problems.  When I come back, I'll see if I can find some May Plant Sale pictures from previous years.

Graysen's Fifth-Grade Musical was Thursday night, and it was such a great night.  Fun songs and happy faces along with excited parents.  I'll grab some pictures from Facebook and post those too, if I don't forget.  Katherine's program is Monday night. I do have this one.  This is one of the quieter songs.  


The weather, although rainy, is a little warmer, and the sun comes out enough to keep things fairly warm.  I had no trouble with being too cool this morning.  I just needed to find a spot to sit down and rest ever so often.  


No comments:

Post a Comment