Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Making Our Way Through February

 It hasn't been a fantastic month weather-wise, but it hasn't snowed either, so I'll take that as a positive.  I had a wellness visit with my doctor yesterday here in town, and that went pretty well.  No new ideas about how to get me some energy, but we have "plans" for a few things to maybe help.  I got a pneumonia shot, my blood pressure was high - but it usually is - and we made a few minor changes in my medications.  I have to go back in a month after labs, but I'm not expecting too much.  Nothing really hurts, and I don't feel bad.  I just need about 10 hours of sleep at night and sometimes a nap.  I feel like I'm wasting what little life I have left, but I did some positive organizing in the sewing room, and now I feel like I will finish up a few projects in there.  All the pins, ribbons, art supplies for the girls, thread, and most of the buttons are organized.  Fabric is fairly neat, and knitting and crocheting needles and yarn are corralled in baskets.  I cleaned all the surfaces and washed the window and window sill, so it's pleasant to come and go in there.  I can't make the decision to let the embroidery machine go, but I don't know if I'll ever remember how to use the program on my old computer and organize my files.  

This week is Winter Break, and Emily and Ryan had planned to go see Dune last night while I had a sleepover, but she started having back spasms Saturday and postponed any type of movie-going.  My offer still stands to have some company, but I'll need to know ahead of time so I can take a nap before they get here.

I'll scroll through my pictures and see what I've been interested in these past few weeks.  I took a picture of the first piece of furniture we bought to show a friend - a $35 desk from a thrift store in Summerville, GA.


We were only 21, so I think we did a pretty good job of redoing it and choosing something we would love through the years.  It's a little wobbly, but after 55 years, if I haven't tightened the legs yet, it's not going to get done unless someone inherits it who will do it.  I think I now remember that Ryan did that for me when we first moved here, but it seems to need it again.  

The sampler above it was done so many years ago that I don't remember.  Back when samplers were in style.  I loved this pattern and enjoyed making it more than anything I've ever done.  We had friends in town who had opened a framing shop - the Varners - and they did an excellent job on everything they ever did for me, this one in particular.


I'll try to take a better picture tomorrow when the light is better.  Graysen showed an interest in the sampler one day, and I loved telling her about young girls in the past learning their ABCs and numbers by embroidering them over and over and showing off their skills and artistry.  Grandmothers love a teaching moment, but she looked at it a minute and said, "Why do you have it?"  I said, "I embroidered it myself, all those thousands of little stitches, just to hang over this desk."  Far from being impressed, she said, "Why?"  Children know how to take the wind out of your sails.  

I've had this up all day waiting for something interesting to happen to write about.  Actually, I just forgot to post, but at least it's a few words.  I haven't seen the girls this Winter Break and miss them, but I know they're having fun being at home and resting up from the last few weeks of being so busy.  Soccer and basketball still goes on in spite of the week off too.  I'll go listen to my audio book until I get sleepy and see if I can get back on a better sleep schedule.  Unfortunately, I slept a few hours this afternoon, but I do enjoy afternoon naps.  I'll soon have the sewing room cleaned up enough for a few pictures.  My heart isn't in sewing right now, but I do have some things I want and need to do in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment