Wednesday, January 31, 2024

There Goes January

 I shouldn't rush time since it seems to be getting away from me, but all the winter months can just fly by.  After the snow and ice, it's been just - gray - rain and more rain and cold too.  






I love having the option of staying home and not getting out into it.  I ended up ordering groceries from Amazon Fresh again, and I'm really liking that.  It's good for when I need heavy things like drinks and cat food and cleaning things.  I don't need an excuse though. I just like knowing what time they will be here and stepping onto the front porch and bringing them in.  Since the girls have done such a good job cleaning my pantries and refrigerator, it was nice to put them in without crowding 

I'm up early today, but I'm not going to spend all my good hours on writing here.  I have my list, and I'm sticking to it.  I did forget to bring in the garbage and recycling cans yesterday since I didn't go around back.  The wind is awful, and I hope it's not another chase to get them back home.  Monday first thing I noticed people on the community groups all excited about 62 degrees and sunny.  I already had on a long-sleeved shirt by then and was glad I did.  I never saw any sun, and while it was warmer, it still was not warm enough.  I had a dentist appointment at 12:00, and he was downright glum about no sun.  I found myself searching through the trees for some and thought it was lighting up in one place, but it was just snow on Mount Si.  

I still was glad to be out and had several errands, but I did not enjoy my visit to the dentist.  Lately he has done the cleaning, and since he likes to chat a little - and listen - it's slow and not particularly uncomfortable.  There was a new hygienist Monday though, and while she's just as nice and sweet as can be, she took a personal dislike to my teeth.  No small talk from her.  She was whipping around those sharp instruments and suctioning and jabbing, and I actually got tense.  I had to make myself relax my arms.  And she was typing away on her computer as she did a section of my mouth.  I actually got a little worried. 

 I guess lots of people enjoy being a dental hygienist, but it can't be the most fun job ever, and I know she is doing exactly what she's learned to do and has been instructed by the dentist to do.  I think I had rather just skip any visits at all, but I do feel better mentally when I leave.  Physically, though, I felt drained and just wanted to go home.  So no errands for me that day.  My mouth didn't feel like eating so I had something to drink and took a nap!  It doesn't take much for that to happen.  I could tell the way the cats looked at me when I got home that they knew to go grab their best spots.

I had a good Sunday visit with Mary and Noreen, and we played Scrabble.  Noreen has a super-duper set with a turntable - carousel? -  so we don't have to reach so far or read upside down, so that was fun.  Mary has a normal game, and I don't even have one at all, so I have to hope they don't get mad with me.  I can't imagine that though.  I do enjoy having friends to relax with and who share lots of the same feelings and interests.  I'm waiting for word on whether or not I'll be playing bridge this afternoon.  I want to, but I'm still a little hesitant about playing with experienced players.

Today is Emily's birthday, and I'm not sure how we/they will celebrate.  The middle of the week is so full.  I have her gifts though, and they're coming over to help me Saturday with heavy things and high things, so we may wait until then.  

I found this picture of her the other day, and I threatened to post it on Facebook.  I don't think she cared.  She knows she was cute.  Looks like it was Christmas at Grandmama and Grandaddy Ray's house. 


Kathy found one of her drinking coffee with Grandaddy Windham - but I don't think it's coffee.  From the look on Roy's face, it wasn't very good coffee.  I bet it was spicy Russian tea.  It's the companionship that matters.


That's enough for today.  This computer is determined to outsmart me and give me 20 options when I just want 2.  Obviously, I'm making bad choices already.  

I'm going to do the pictures of Carly's birthday celebration last Friday and Katherine's yellow belt results.  I'm sure there are other things, but I just have to get going on cleaning and catching up on everything.  Then Graysen's birthday will be here in two weeks.  And Alan's next week, but we don't spend much time decorating and celebrating for his - although we would if he would allow it.

I keep looking at my clock to make sure it's a.m. and not p.m. since it's so dark still.  

Yes, I did pay for my negligence yesterday.  I knew when I saw they weren't behind the car that I was going to be cold very soon.  Little stinging, cold raindrops in my face and numb feet.  


The amaryllis is not going to make it in January, but I think it's the biggest one of the whole group Emily gifted.  Looks to be pale pink.


I have the morning free even if I do go to bridge at 1:00.  I like free mornings and days.  I sent back 3 audio books last week and picked up a paper one Monday - Kids Run the Show.  It's about using children on social media, but I've just read a couple of pages.  I do have some good ones coming, and got a few knitting and origami books at the library. I need to be reading my Basic Bridge book.

 I think I'm going to subscribe to the Sunday Seattle Times.  I miss that, and I need a gift.  And practice. And more to crowd my brain.  I missed the Wordle word today.  I won't say the answer in case someone hasn't done it, but I had the 2nd and 5th letters all along, and nothing I plugged in fit.  


No comments:

Post a Comment