Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Keeping Up With the Weather

 Luckily, I don't have to leave the apartment too often, but it's back to school for the girls and back to work for Emily after a long weekend with a snow day at one end and a holiday at the other.  Just glancing at the weather news, I saw the words "unseasonably warm spell for Western Washington" yesterday, but today when I looked at the week's forecast, I saw very few hours this week above the mid-30s and lots of snow and ice on Wednesday and Thursday.

I told Elise I would go with her to have her battery checked, so I guess we'd better do that today and make sure she has enough food for her and her cat.  I have plenty for myself and my cats.

It would be a great week to have a good book or two to listen to, but I've sent back the last three I've started.  The only one I read was Secret History by Donna Tartt.  I didn't like it at first and almost returned it, but then I remembered another book she had written, The Goldfinch, and all the good reviews this one got, so I held on and finished it.  Not great, and I kept dozing off and having to rewind and not being able to remember what had happened last, so I probably ended up taking twice the time to read it as I should have.  


It was hard to identify with a bunch of guys - and one girl - whose favorite pastimes were studying Greek and immersing themselves in the language plus working their way through their parents' money and getting drunk, but I persevered, and found a pretty good story there.  The Vermont in the winter setting made it realistic for this particular week, so I spent some time curled up in front of the fire covered in cats trying to improve my mind.  Not really.  I think it's too late for that.  I just wanted to enjoy a good book.

I started The Country of the Blind, a memoir by Andrew Leland yesterday and realized I wasn't in the right frame of mind to learn more about what is involved in losing one of your 5 senses.  But I had some extra time later and so started it.  Lots of good reviews and the word "humor" attracted me and made me realize it might not be totally depressing but more interesting and informative, and I did start it.  Who knows what we'll be called on to face as we go through life, and I like knowing all I can about things - just in case.  So far, I've liked what I've read.

No plans today except to go with Elise if I need to and to read the next chapter in my learning-to-play-bridge book and learning a little more about bidding.  I think I'm going to have to actually play some games to understand a lot of the book - rather than play the robots on line.  Those robots are big risk takers, and sometimes I find myself having to play for 6 spades when I myself would have stopped at 2.  

I want to also practice knitting left-handed in case Graysen and Carly show an interest in learning the old-fashioned way.  I can knit right-handed in my sleep, but put the needles in the opposite hands, and I get way too frustrated.  The girls might be just as willing to learn right-handed.  It would make things a little easier for all of us, but I don't want to turn them off before they find out if they're going to like it. My right-hander, Katherine, so far hasn't shown much interest in yarn crafts.  

Layla just likes it that I'm up and keeping her company in the middle of the night.  Sometimes her little raspy purr drives me crazy, and sometimes it's nice to hear.  Bowie got too warm by the fire, I think, and went off toward the bedroom to find just the right spot to make me have to move him when I go back to bed.  


 
 That LEAVE ME ALONE look.




No comments:

Post a Comment