Friday, January 14, 2022

It's Been a Good Week

 I knew it would be an improvement over anything I've had in weeks because of being able to walk up the sidewalk to the mailbox and to the school and not have to bundle up so.  It's so refreshing to stand and have a conversation with a friend and see blue skies and smell the fresh air. 

Tried to do one necessary but not so pleasant thing every day.  Monday was a haircut and taking library books back.  Not really unpleasant, but I never know who I'll get to cut my hair, and there's always the chance of a bad haircut, although I've been going to Great Clips for 3 or 4 years and have never experienced anything bad.  Same Monday, and I can't beat $16 plus a tip anywhere else around here - that I know of.  

Tuesday it was the dentist for that tooth pain I've been having.  It's gradually ebbed some, but I was still not in the mood to be poked and prodded.  Luckily, it's a small practice - one dentist and one hygienist and one receptionist - and it's a happy and friendly place.  I had x-rays which showed nothing bad, and I then had a pretty lengthy cleaning.  Once I told her I haven't had a working right arm in almost a year and that that probably affected my flossing, she made sure she made up for it and found a few deposits in that area.  We think it's probably the fact that I chomped down on a walnut or cucumber and bruised my gum.  Whatever - by the time she was finished, I had not a twinge of pain, no heat or cold sensitivity, and could bite down on things like normal.  I was so happy when I left.  I was not looking forward to any repair or procedure, and my next appointment is in July.  I can't even imagine how July might feel right now.  

Yesterday was just getting the paperwork filled out to donate the Escape to Kars4Kids.  That's what I did with the Rendezvous last year, and I should have a nice tax deduction plus having a quick and easy transaction.  Just don't ever let their ad jingle find its way to your computer or TV.  Most annoying thing ever!

I now have a working VCR and am having SO much fun.  Ryan has been working on getting it attached to my TV since I don't use the TV for anything else, and he finally got it going.  In fact, it came on while he was working on it and showed his wife as a pre-teen in a tiny swimsuit doing choreographed dances in our front yard with her friends.  He was so thrilled, and Emily was so upset, but it turns out he loved seeing that part of her life that he missed.  We can't wait to show him videos of the parents he never met and all the relatives who are no longer living.  It can get a little sad sometimes, seeing how things used to be, but I'm so thankful for the memories.  We'll have to see about getting a few digitized.  

There are 3 high school graduations, 3 college graduations, 1 PT graduation, a law school one, a master's degree ceremony, a wedding, and a 50th anniversary.  Many dance recitals and birthday parties and Christmases and summers at the beach.  

The girls are fascinated at seeing their Mama as a child and are already copying some of her silliest moments!  

They probably can't top having a friend loan her his Porsche for a week for her high school graduation.  Brave friend!

I can't wait to spend some time watching these and traveling back in time.  We have a lot of pictures, but these are the only memories of voices we have.  Seeing my father-in-law squeeze into his World War II jacket in his mid-70s and saluting is priceless.  And being able to hear Mike giving a running commentary on his Christmas gifts just brings a big smile to my face.  

The quality isn't great - probably wasn't even too good back then - but I'll try and get a few of them on YouTube to post here in the coming weeks.  

It's early pickup today, so I need to get busy.  The girls have been extra sweet this week after our not having too much time together and can't stop giving me hugs and cuddles.  They're pushing for a sleepover tonight.  We'll see where that goes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment