Sunday, May 2, 2021

I'm Expecting Good Things From May

 It's been such a hard winter and hard year for me that it was pretty good to open my planner to start looking at May.

It's not going to be a beautiful week weather-wise, but that's okay.  I have some pretty flowers to look at and plans!

Emily and I plan lots of outings that just don't pan out for one reason or the other.  We have good intentions, but life seems to get in the way.  But now I know how to get it done.  Mention plant shopping!  

I had seen a Senior Center Plant Sale on some of the community pages for Friday and Saturday, so we got on board with that Friday, thinking it was the Si View Senior Center in North Bend, but it was actually the Sno Valley Senior Center in Carnation.  That was even better.  It gave us a chance to take a little road trip and see some pretty things.  It didn't matter too much to us that it was raining.  It wasn't a cold rain, and Emily had already warmed up my car seat and bought Starbucks.  

It was SUCH a good day.  It's rare to make ourselves stop long enough to talk without the girls around, and I can't even remember all the things we talked about on our short trip there.  I remember a discussion about roundabouts and how many of them keep popping up around here.  We reminisced about Remlinger Farms and the Pumpkin Patch and loved seeing the fields of flowers blooming.  We laughed about the crazy things the girls are doing and saying lately and talked about plans for the summer and what to put in her flower beds.  

Carnation is a small farming town, but we just love it.  We think it looks like a really old fishing town with the old wooden buildings and ancient signs.

This is the most interesting Ace Hardware we've seen in a while.  I didn't take more than a couple of photos so found a few on Wikipedia.  





We didn't really have any idea about the sale.  We just wanted to smell the earth and touch some tomatoes, but it was very nice with so many unusual plants.  There were master gardeners walking around to help answer questions and sweet people ready to give their opinions and ideas.

Emily:  I'm about to spend a LOT of money.




We both got an Autumn Joy sedum because I remember loving the one I had in Greensboro, but after we got home, I gifted her mine after I remembered how big they become.  I had not planned to do much with the balcony this summer since I hope to be moving, but there was too much temptation.

This is what we hope for after a few months.


We each got a couple of tomato plants.  I got a Bush Early Girl since it sounds like it will do okay in a large pot.  The rest we'll put in the garden.  I just don't get a ton of sunshine here.  I got some beautiful basil, some parsley, and a jalapeno pepper plant.

They can sit in the window for a few days until we get some more sunshine.



I now wish I had gotten a little cedar tree.


There were so many perennials that we've never heard of.  



Emily found a huge wisteria that she pounced on and loaded up.  I thought we were going to have to open the sun roof, but it just fit.  I hope she doesn't regret it since it was bought without too much thought on where it's going to get planted!





Lots of pretty hostas and heucheras too.


It was a good trip and made us so happy.  Elise already has a couple of plants on the balcony that are doing well, and I'm going to try to hold off on buying too much.  I do want another coral geranium since I let my last year's beautiful one die.  😔





Layla and Bowie are enjoying a little outside time on the balcony.  I think.  Judging by her expression, she wishes I would just go put a can of salmon in her dish and stop looking at her.


The girls spent a couple of hours over here yesterday, and we walked up to the Chevron station to get an Icee, or whatever the latest name for them is.  Frazil, or something like that.  The one they chose was blue.


I love it that we can do such a simple thing as walking that couple of blocks and discussing at length what we're going to get and then being SO excited over it.  We saw two bunnies, went up on Queen Kitty Hill to look over the town, discussed when the pool will be open, and then we came home and acted silly for a long time.




This girl just rolls with the punches.  I'm not sure I would have been as pleasant on finding out I had to sleep with this on my face for 6 weeks.  



Graysen wore an expander on her upper teeth until she had room for her teeth, and she has had that removed and only wears a retainer.  Katherine has more serious problems with her mouth that will affect her breathing if it's not corrected, so she's having to go the extra mile.

She had just picked up that homemade bread in her hand and was sad at not being able to eat it.  In about 2 seconds, she had broken it in half and stuffed the pieces in on both sides.  

I'm about to find out my week's schedule, but whatever we do, it's going to be in the rain.  We have one really warm day without rain, but the rest are drizzly and cool.  I hope to see a soccer game tomorrow and go to gymnastics Tuesday.  And PT.  Wednesday we will work on a Mother's Day surprise for Emily, and the last two days are still questionable.

I have my taxes done, so that takes a little pressure off.  They were easy, but I still had to pay almost what my last incentive check was.  That's not fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment