Friday, July 27, 2018

Moana and Heat

I had never heard of Moana until right before Christmas and still haven't watched the whole movie at one time, but I hear about it a lot.  We were looking around for some summer fun for Graysen while Kate is in daycare, and I found weekly dance camps at Si View Community Recreation Center.  They offer just about anything kids would want to do, grownups too, but I chose the Moana dance camp because, well, no more fairies and princesses right now, please.  It turns out Hip-Hop would have been fun for her too, but I didn't know.

She went four days and then had a program yesterday afternoon.  During the week, they practiced a dance and made crafts and had snacks and did some outdoor stuff.  Lots of fun.  The first day, we met a mother and daughter who were early like us.  I really hate turning up in a tizzy with no time to spare - or late -  and usually am 15 minutes early everywhere.  I got lost finding this place at least 3 different ways, and it wasn't until Thursday that I manged to go straight there the first time.  Charlotte was dressed beautifully in a cute dance costume, and Graysen had on something similar, a leotard and the skirt from her swimsuit,and  they smiled at each other and we got names straight, and they became instant friends.  Charlotte is 7 and quiet and sweet, so I was pleased with that.  They hugged every day when they parted.  So sweet.  It turns out they live on the Ridge, so we're going to work on getting them together to play.

Yesterday was hot.  It didn't make it to 90, but it was hot when you had to get in and out of cars and walk back and forth.  We left dance camp at 12:00 but had to be back for the show at 3:30.  The weekly farmer's market was going on there at the same time, so I knew I would have to park a distance away, so we ended up leaving about 2:45.  Naturally, at that time of day, Kate fell asleep immediately in her carseat, so I had to wake her up, give her some water and hope she would walk for me.  She did, but she was not in the best mood then or during the show and especially not afterwards.  The gym was a little warm, surprisingly, so that didn't help.  She insisted on being in my lap the whole time.

But the show was cute and fun, and Graysen and Charlotte performed beautifully.  They made the flower hairbands and necklaces during the week, and the tutus were furnished.  My phone was in it's usual state of not being charged, so Elisabeth, Charlotte's mom promised me some pictures later.  She had a serious camera there, not a dead cell phone like me.


Charlotte's twin brother aggravating her.  At the time I took this picture, they couldn't find a small enough tutu, so Graysen was wearing another type of skirt.  I could tell she was disappointed, but I was so proud of how she just accepted it and didn't fuss about it.  They finally found a small one for her.


This is the community center itself taken from the park.  It's beautiful there.  




Not loving the heat.  She was upset that her head was wet.  She doesn't remember a day warm enough to sweat, I guess.


On the way home, with all of us hot and sticky, Graysen said, "I remember when it rained.  We would have a fire and drink hot chocolate."  She's done with summer, I guess.  

It will get into the 90s the next couple of days, so I'll probably be done too, but right now at 10:00, it's 68 and breezy. It was a little warm sleeping last night without air-conditioning but okay so far.

These are the hydrangeas that greet us as we go from the car to my apartment.  I tried to capture all the different ones.  










Graysen has found a use for the old Boggle game.  She says she's nervous about starting kindergarten, but I know she'll be fine.  


Glad the weekend is approaching so I can read and catch up on things.

No comments:

Post a Comment