Thursday, December 6, 2018

And the Day DIdn't Get Any Better

I managed to stay out of the cold all day until 2:45 when it was time to pick up Katherine.  I was driving a couple of blocks away from downtown Snoqualmie to get to Rooster Valley, driving slowly, spotting a parking space, and making my way to it when all of a sudden there was a huge crash, and I realized I had been hit, either that or my car had finally blown up.  It's funny how clearly I was thinking and how I was not afraid.  I knew I wasn't hurt - so far - but had to gain control of the car.  I finally came to rest completely up on a curb against a chain link fence. 

The fence owner came out immediately to see if I was okay, and neither one of us noticed the other car at first, and it just puzzled me what had happened.  I was totally stunned, but there was that adrenaline of being so glad it wasn't worse.  When I got out, the other driver came running over, apologizing profusely and seeing if I was okay.  A young guy, just 21.  We were all surprised that the huge sound produced only a long scrape and not really even a dent.  I think his car got the worst of it, although I didn't go check.  Several of the Rooster Valley teachers came running up to give hugs and see if I was okay - in their pajamas.  I heard one of them explaining J for Jammies week to the bystanders.  They stayed until I was able to crank the car and get off the curb, and then I had to pick up Katherine.

I was okay to drive home.  I'm lately super cautious because of all the crosswalks and pedestrians and my not seeing a couple of them and having to stop quickly.  So I creep through town anyway, but there was that feeling of brief panic when I would see a car come to a stop sign and not stop immediately.  After being in a worse accident in the 80s, it took me a long time before I could relax and not watch other cars excessively.  This was my first accident as a driver and second overall.  The first time, I was in the back seat without a seatbelt and was thrown around and had terrible bruises and lingering neck pain.  I'm very proud of the job my seatbelt did today and have just a little ache in my shoulder, probably from tension.  Just thanking God tonight for keeping the other driver and me from being hurt and for the children not to have been in the car. 

I didn't get an explanation for this little scene, but Emily and I called it "Heading home to Nazareth."


No comments:

Post a Comment