Monday, November 8, 2021

Heading for the Holidays

 I doubt we're going to have much in the traditional sense of Thanksgiving and Christmas this year.  It will be wonderful, as usual, but just different!

One thing that will hopefully be done by Thanksgiving is getting our booster shots.  I have an appointment next week, and so does Emily.  I think she has the girls scheduled too for their first vaccine, and they are ready.  No one worried much when we were lined up and jabbed way back in the 50s when it was the thing to all work together to save lives, but now we have all the misinformation that people have to sift through.  It just makes me so mad that I won't even talk about it, the mess our country is in now. 

Anyway, we will get that done and hopefully get me some more energy and find out what's making me so tired.  I go for my third round of OT for my wrist.  I can do more and more each day, but it's still pretty painful writing and lifting things.  It's been almost a year since I've had a fully useful right arm!

I had a visit from my friend Mary today, and it was such a nice time, even if we both tend to discuss our ailments some.  She and Noreen are my cheerleaders and refuse to let me get down about my slothful ways.  I was up at 3:45 doing laundry and vacuuming, so I'm not totally useless, but that's probably part of my problem, having crazy sleep patterns.  No matter what time I go to bed, I can count on enjoying the hours between 3:00 and 7:00 wide awake and confusing the cats. 

We've had rain for days and days, awful blowy hard rain - and cold.  Today we didn't have rain, but the wind was certainly present.  We could hardly stand upright on the walk home from school, and I was a little worried about branches falling on us.  It's 15 mph now. We got home safely though.  The girls had a cup of hot chocolate and a snack and worked on their math homework.   They seem to be doing it easily.  Katherine is so funny talking about number bonds and drawing those little squares and making equations like a big girl.  I guess she is now.





Graysen has shown a big interest in anime drawing, and I got her a beginner drawing book.   


She could hardly wait to finish her work and get started on that.  She's patient, but it's not easy to get the effects she wants every time.  She said her girl looked mad instead of cute today.  

Emily and Ryan got a rare night out alone Friday night, and the girls and I had a sleepover.  They went to a vegan restaurant in Seattle and had calamari.  I'm not sure what the calamari was made from, but they said it was delicious.  I looked it up, and it's usually made from oyster mushrooms.  That may be our Thanksgiving entre, and I won't fuss about it.  I've never cared that much for turkey anyway.  

The girls have done well sticking to their vegan food.  Even when they order a school lunch, they will pick out what they choose to eat and toss the rest.  Without even trying, I'm sort of halfway doing vegan meals.  I can't remember the last time I cooked meat, and the only things I veer off course on are eggs and cheese.  I'll eat meat if I want it, but it's very rare.

Emily and Ryan then saw Dune, which was a 3-hour movie.  The girls and I were asleep long before that was over.  I was asleep before them, but they made up stories to tell each other and then listened to Sparkle Stories on my phone until they passed out too.  We all snuggled together in my bed, and they slept all wrapped around each other like puppies.  I was up for my usual 3:30 break, but it didn't bother them.  

There's not much going on lately, and I like it.  I read, listen to audio books, do some online jigsaw puzzles and visit with friends as well as keeping up my little place.  It feels like home now, and I'm pretty pleased with it.  I wish I could fast forward through the months of January, February, and March though and get back to porch sitting.  I enjoy reading my favorite blogs every day and feel like I know the people who write them.  I've pretty much gotten tired of Facebook - more like disgusted with some of the things I see people say - and just keep up with a small group of my old friends.

Can't wait to get in bed and listen to that howling wind!  Hoping no one loses trees, limbs, or electricity tonight.  It's too windy to put the garbage cans out tonight, so I guess I'll be getting up early to get them out in the morning.  



No comments:

Post a Comment