Saturday, October 27, 2018

October Gloom

Not gloomy like the weather because it's been lovely and red and yellow with blue skies.  But gloomy like my mood.  I'm trying to keep my spirits up over the state of the country and try not to think about it so much, but I sometimes can't sleep for worrying about the evilness of people and how hopeless it seems that our government will ever straighten out.  Emily keeps telling me to stop Facebook, and I do want to in a way, but then I feel like I'll lose touch with the few people I enjoy just because of the ignorance of some.  I've just unfollowed loads of people and kept the ones I really care about, the ones who give me things to smile about and make me laugh and keep me up with their families.  Maybe that will help.

So, on to important things.  Yesterday, Emily came in from work with a cup of water, like she usually does and asked me to try it. It was nice.  Sparkling water.  She said that it was plain water put through a Sodastream machine (or something similar).  That was all that was said about it.  Just now, I went to Facebook, and the first thing to greet me was an ad for Sodastream.  How?  I had forgotten about it and certainly didn't do a search.  My computer was nowhere near us.  It had to be my phone eavesdropping.  Pretty scary stuff.

Halloween is creeping up and can now commence since Katherine has her Skye costume.  She was going to be a purple cat this year since that's her favorite animal and favorite color but then, no, she didn't want to be that.  Then a black cat or a purple fairy or SKYE from Paw Patrol.  We realized on Wednesday that her Halloween parade was yesterday at school, so I ordered an Amazon next-day delivery of a toddler Skye costume.  It came hours before the parade, but she had been feeling bad that morning, it was pouring rain, and we just didn't want to do it.  Katherine knew nothing about it, so that was no problem.  We came home and unpacked the costume and got busy making a little girl happy.  Graysen was about as excited as Katherine was.  Emily always wants to make their costumes or put them together and never considered how happy a store-bought one would make this girl.

/



That helmet gave us all kinds of trouble because it wouldn't stay on, and she was resorting to lying on the floor whining and kicking furniture.  Luckily, my excellent sewing skills came into play, and I ran home and found a piece of pink elastic to sew under the chin to hold it on.  On the Double - Mimi saved the day.  


Emily had planned a tea party for the afternoon after she got home, and that was nice.  It's a sneaky way for us to have a cup of tea with little fuss.  They had lots of guests and used their sweetest and most polite voices - except when Katherine was yelling for more jelly beans.



 Only the most special friends were invited.  That pink bear was recently rescued from a donation box in the garage and has not been out of Kate's sight.  He waits in her car seat while she's in school and then sleeps with her and is just always there.  Also, the sister dolls were gifts from Debby when Katherine was was just a baby.  I think the hair bothered them a while, but now "the girls" are right there in the middle of it all.


Emily finished Graysen's woodland fairy costumes this afternoon just in time for a party up the street.  The glitter that doesn't fall off the leaves tonight can go to school and decorate Ms. Boyle's classroom Wednesday.   Then it's trick or treat Wednesday night and Pajama Day at school Friday.  Pajama and Technology Day.  I don't know what that is.  They already do computers and coding as part of their classwork.  I'm counting on Graysen to teach me to code.  I remember it as being really, really hard in 1995 or so.

After all the blue skies and beautiful leaves, it started raining this afternoon, and now the wind is blowing really hard.  I got out for a few minutes and took this picture.  I think the leaves will be mostly gone this weekend.



I love the sound of the rain and wind.  It's a good night to snuggle in bed and read.  I went to bed last night about 7:00.  Friday nights, I've about had it.  I woke up at 1:00, thinking it was morning and just stayed up and worked and read with a couple of short naps during the day.  I love Saturdays and being able to do what I want to.

2 comments:

  1. I have driven that highway many times. It is raining now here in Wenatchee, coming down petty hard at times. I have given up on Facebook, maybe I will go ask after awhile but right now I am enjoying the peace.s So cut to see the kids in their costumes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I'm torn about Facebook. I think I'll snooze people for awhile and come back later. It's so beautiful here. I thought the rain would bother me when I moved here from the south, but I pretty much love everything about this area.

    ReplyDelete