Thursday, October 4, 2018

Sick

Ugh.  Got flu shot but whatever the girls are bringing home from school is more powerful.  I had a vague sore throat earlier this week, but it was bad along with my ears yesterday and hardly any voice.  It worries me that I have to travel Monday night.  I'm hoping it's a lot better.  I'm taking some over-the-counter stuff, and my throat feels better.  Since I want to sleep on the plane Monday night, maybe I'll get some of the regular Nyquil.  I've heard that will put you out.  I have to find a happy medium between being alert when I get to Atlanta and getting some sleep.  Not a fun thing to add to my anxiety already.

When I feel bad, I don't want hovering, but this morning I welcomed it.  Elise got her Dad's empathy gene and - well - hovers.  I had coffee, a pill, blueberry waffle, and a fire.  When I got up to get ready to go get the girls off to school, she informed me she was taking over this morning.  She doesn't go into work until 3:00, so she's free most mornings.

I did protest a little bit, but she overrode every protest.  I made a whole page list of what to do to get them both out the door and where to take Graysen.  Katherine stays home today, so I hope Elise is going to be available for the nonstop talking she does.

I think I like it, a little hovering.  I've just learned to cope by myself the past few years - and all those years when Mike was working in Texas, but it's nice to have responsibility taken over by someone else.

When Elise looked at the list, I figured she would be offended that I didn't trust her to know what to do, but she didn't, and what she said made me have tears.  She said, "There's so much love in this list.  So much that you do for them."  I don't think of it like that.  Some mornings, I feel like a drill sergeant barking out commands.  Socks.  Teeth.  High pony tail, low pony tail, barrette?  Which shoes?  Which coat?  Check the weather.  Watch the clock.

Let's see how it works out with Katherine here today.  Tomorrow is Friday, and Emily is off early - and then the weekend.  I'll just concentrate on getting better before Monday night.


2 comments:

  1. so sorry to hear you are not feeling well, get better soon. I did take a break from writing but I am back and will try again. I just need to catch my balance.

    Nonie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. There's nothing like being sick to make you appreciate it when you do feel good. I'm behind on reading blogs and everything else but looking forward to seeing what you're up to.

    ReplyDelete