Monday, January 1, 2018

So - a New Year Already

I had just gotten used to the old one!


As with all my journals ever, I feel like I need to say something on January 1st, whether I have anything to say or not.  But I usually do.

We celebrated the end of 2017 Eastern time last night.  That way, Graysen could stay up long enough to see it happen (Kate couldn't make it that late - maybe next year) and so older folks could mosey along home in the fog.



Graysen put together 2 puzzles and played several games of memory with her mom before the countdown started.  It was a long wait for her, and I think she expected a little more fanfare. 


She counted down from 30, but when the ball came on the screen, it startled her, and she jumped up to run.


As I left, we could hear fireworks all around us - so I guess there were a few more people on Eastern time. 

I brought a puzzle home with me to waste time on.  New Year's resolution #28.  No more than 30 minutes at a time working on this.  It's addictive.


It's more fun to work on it with Emily, but I'm afraid our together time is about to end since she is over her illness presumably and needs to work.  Blah.  And this is a weird puzzle too, full of crazy little vignettes.  We would enjoy talking about it.


I got up early to enjoy as much of the day as I can since it's back to work tomorrow.  It started in the usual way with a cup of Starbucks Holiday Blend that Elise and I stocked up on.  This looks strong enough even for her. 


I have my books ready to go.  



My little pink planner all filled out for the week and hopefully to be consulted often (and not lost).  I converted one section to monthly expenses and got rid of that notebook.  

 My Gratitude Journal Debby gave me last year.  I guess I wasn't grateful enough because I still have plenty of room.  

My little notebook Emily gave me for my birthday that I jot down just anything I think about.  

And the first book of the new year.  I'm maybe 30 pages into it, and it's really good.  The title is not one that would have interested me, but I read a review on it that convinced me to request it from the library.  It's a series of letters written during World War II in England between an female author and her friends.  Nothing too deep or serious but just makes me smile, exactly what I need right now.  

Considering I have what I'm sure is a broken toe.  It's not my first Christmas/New Year's one, and I really have not enjoyed this.  I expected more sympathy last night, but Ryan cut his thumb yesterday, and the girls both had boo-boos to show me.  And who can top Emily's 2-week bout with pneumonia.  So I have to suffer in silence.  The culprit, though, is being thrown out of the house.


This hedgehog was given to us years ago by our dear friends Diane and Jeff and I believe brought from England.  I always think of them when I see him, and he usually has lived outside on a patio or porch.  Here, I have kept him at my bedroom door as a door stop.  But no more.  I've run into him a few times over the years but not full force like I did Friday night.  It's swollen and blue but not painful any more, thank goodness, so I can go about my business with shoes on if necessary.  I'll put him on the balcony for time-being.

This picture makes me look like I'm dressed for snow, but actually it's a really neat accidental purchase of mine.  I ordered Mama a sherpa-lined short robe since she's always cold and in her wheelchair the majority of the time.  When I got it, it was way too big for either of us, but I couldn't stop touching it.  I decided to order her a smaller one and keep the large one for a snuggie this winter.  Its wonderful - like a blanket with sleeves - and I'll probably wear it a lot.  And the pockets!  It's not that attractive, but it doesn't have to be!

So, the beginning of a new one.  Last year was not so good for us in terms of coping with Mike not being with us.  In fact, it was awful and nothing we were prepared for.  But we did get through it, and we'll get through this one too - maybe a little easier than last.  I don't know.  No promises.  But it's always good to have a clean slate and new start, so I'll see what I can do.  That to-do list in my new planner is still there and not getting checked off - except for writing on this blog.  I'm afraid that's easier than getting out and buying groceries. 

No comments:

Post a Comment