Monday, March 4, 2013

Being Productive - Finally

This last week since we got back has been strange and disjointed, and I'm not sure why.  I've been cold, lethargic, uninterested in things and wanting to sleep all the time.  We've done the necessities and those not well.  I even resented having to go to the grocery store to bring in food.  It's not that I was depressed about leaving the baby - because I thought I would be.  That has worked out amazingly well.  We were ready to get back to our own routines and not have to feel like we were imposing on Ryan and Emily.  We wanted to get back to warmer weather and sunshine.  That didn't quite work out!

Emily has been very good to keep me up with what's happening in their lives and anything interesting Graysen does.  She's not really doing much at 2-1/2 weeks, but she is trying to lift her head and look around.  It's exciting to get pictures or videos 2 or 3 times a day and get little paragraphs about what's going on.  This way we get to feel almost like we're there and never have to hear a bit of crying or fussing!  I would trade it for a chance to cuddle and rock with her, but I'm so appreciative of Emily sharing everything with us. 

Last night we got a cute bath picture which was the first one in the tub that she didn't cry.  Emily said she got cold at the end and shook a little bit and made her sad, but she was so proud of her that she didn't cry.  Such sweet memories.  I'll add some pictures at the end.

We had an enjoyable supper with Pat and Tim Saturday night at Ezell's.  They and their son Matthew took very good care of Mama and the house and pets while we were gone.  We can't thank them enough for all the extras they did.  I thought the meal was great.  Pat and I got fish and Mike and Tim shrimp and oysters.  I even got some cheese grits!  Almost as good as David's Catfish and a lot closer!  We really should get out and discover some of the restaurants around here.

I've been severely distracted by new stuff my company is doing to our computers.  It was no fun to get back and have all these emails about training sessions and installations and all the changes.  Finally it all was settled yesterday without too much trouble, and I'll now be using my laptop for work.  We're trying to figure out how I can sit in the den and work now, but I think I probably need to concentrate better than that.

My productiveness has been in the sewing room only.  I had made some pads to protect the changing pad, and we really loved those. It sounds redundant to have pads to cover the pad, but the changing pad is so pretty and soft and not that quick to change, so it's nice to have something to throw on top of it for those times when things get out of hand. Several times we had all 4 pads in the dirty clothes hamper at the same time.  This shows one of the Minky pads and the little one over it to protect it.

When Emily and Ryan picked out the fabrics for the bird mobile, they bought lots of fabrics, some fat quarters and some 1/8 yards.  The birds just took a strip out of each corner, and it was a shame to waste all that pretty fabric, so we had the bright idea to make a bunch more of the PUL-lined pads.  I had a 40% coupon at Joann Fabrics and used that on the pricey PUL (waterproof) fabric.

The bird mobile.  I'm still very impressed at what a good job they did with this. I'm not sure I could sew those birds as neatly as Em.

It was just a morning's work to produce these.

I even made an extra burp pad to go along with them.  When I have more time, I'll do more burp pads and send them.

Mike went searching in the attic and found a box of old baby clothes from the 1970s.  I'm not sure if any of these will get any wear, but they're kind of special since Emily wore them as well as Elise and even Gray.

My grandmother made the little daygowns, and they were well worn by the girls.  I love her little bullion roses and the tiny tucks.

I think Graysen will look sweet in these.

This is a larger bubble that Emily wore a lot.  One of my favorites.  There's another one that I'm working on to get the lace whiter.  

Mama embroidered this little blanket for Elise, but Emily used it too.  She wanted to make the baby something but didn't realize she already had something handmade in the attic to give her. 

This was first worn in 1972 by Gray when he was first sitting up - well worn - and then also worn a lot by Elise and Emily.  It's a little stretched but not stained at all.  Can't wait to see her in this.

Okay, some pictures from Week 3.

 Survived the dreaded bath and enjoyed it.
 Notice Jack's presence on the side of the tub.  He and Griff are never far away.

Some pictures of a sweet friend Sami meeting Graysen for the first time.  They're going to be the best of friends, I know. 

Maybe since the week is off to such a good start, we'll get a lot done.  I'm going to work on the birth announcement and the viking hats tomorrow. 


  1. Oh how I wish I lived closer to enjoy this time with Emily! It seems yesterday we were just bringing Kori home from the hospital! By the second one you are such a pro it seems natural but the first one everything is so new!

  2. That's true. Wish we lived closer too, but this way I get to see (and hear) only the happy times! Emily and I talk about lots of little details by text or email at night, and I feel pretty close by. Nothing beats actually holding and cuddling though. :( We're just happy to have her here and healthy and sweet.