Friday, January 27, 2012

Little Bits of Sewing

That's all I have to show for this week unfortunately. We had some nice rain and warm temperatures. I played mind games with a runaway dog on Thursday, bought groceries on Wednesday (saved about $60 at Publix and Wal-Mart), finished one book and started another.

Talked on the phone and e-mailed some. Better yet, cleaned out one e-mail and deleted bunches of old e-mails.

Worked 20 hours.

We watched Downton Abbey and Upstairs, Downstairs and discussed with Emily and Elise.

The week sure passed quickly.

Pinterest has been good for me, if for nothing else than to make me feel guilty enough to do things. I have a "Things to Make" category, and I pin the things I like and might make in the future to that board. Several times a day I notice that someone has repinned my idea to their boards or "liked" it, and I feel like everyone is making these things but me.

I guess that's as good a reason as any to make useless things just because they're cute. So here goes--

I finished 4 of these purse organizers. It didn't even make it to Pinterest, but I had made one earlier and really liked it.


So I did 3 more, varying the heights and lengths. Very easy and fun to make.



I'm sending these to the girls to see if they like them or to give away. One is snuggled down in my purse and not going anywhere.

Then I made this cute little thing from some leftover fabric.


I read about these when Emily was doing a lot of playing in the snow, and I know how much trouble she has with her hands getting cold, so I planned to make some of these for her birthday. On second thought, the snow is gone now. Maybe they're really for her patients!

The first one was really teeny but just what I was looking for. Mama noticed it, and I asked her if she would like some bigger ones for warming her hands in the mornings. She has circulation problems and can hardly hold a cup of coffee in the mornings. I thought she could heat these in the microwave while her coffee is heating or just any time she needs them.



They were a big hit. So---

I made some more.


I had these charm squares of Fandango by Kate Spann which I really love but had never used. I made each side different and a size somewhere between the small one and the large ones. (Did I notice on that link that this fabric was ON SALE? Hmmm)




I think my favorite part is filling them with rice with a funnel and watching them plump out like little pillows. I think the bottom 2 could use more plumping.

My last thing was this grocery bag or tote. I can't say it was easy! I think I started over from the beginning 3 times, but once I got the hang of how it was supposed to be (and stopped forgetting to "yarn over"), it was great, especially for car trips.



I did learn a new technique called an I-cord. I had never heard of it and nearly gave up on it. I just couldn't see how it was going to work. So I looked at the video on You-Tube and had the AHA moment, and it was downhill all the way after that.



A pretty neat way to made a border and especially a handle. Mine is not as neat as I would like it to be, but at least I understand it and can do better next time.

So there's a little feeling of accomplishment, but you should see my sewing room. Next week will be for cleaning it up. I have a feeling the weather is not going to be so nice from now on for awhile, but it will make us appreciate spring when it gets here.

No comments:

Post a Comment