Thursday, August 26, 2010

Back from the Beach

And not happy about it.

I forget that just because I get away for a few days, everything won't be waiting for me when I get back. Well, I didn't really forget; I just put it out of my mind.

It was a nice, nice time. I forgot my camera and my phone, which made it that much more relaxing. Our view of the ocean from the 5th floor showed very clear beautiful water the first day and not so much the 2nd and 3rd days but no evidence of tar or any sort of debris.

Debby and I felt like we had the whole place to ourselves. The condo where we stayed had only about 5 or 6 people on the beach at a time, traffic was light, and it felt more like the end of September than the end of August. Probably had something to do with school starting, but whatever, it was nice.

No alarm clocks, nowhere to be, nothing to do other than read, watch TV, sew, or sleep. And eat of course. We ate lunch at Buster's in Destin on Tuesday: Grouper fingers and veggies - fried okra and macaroni and cheese for me. But we didn't do the big seafood dinner at night either night. One night it was Mexican across the street and another whatever we could gather up in Publix and take back to the room. That decision may or may not have stemmed from an unfavorable lunch earlier that day.

We fussed about the heat, turned the air conditioning to Icy Cold, laughed at old Golden Girls reruns, nearly crashed an election party at the Mexican restaurant, ate popcorn and cookies and flan for supper, read some but talked more. I embroidered a little and we spent a looong time in Barnes and Noble. Went to the outlet mall and poked around there. Bought some good smelling stuff. Talked some more. Laughed some more.

And now I'm home and grateful for the chance to have had some time away. I think Mama enjoyed being on her own too. She sat outside a good bit with Darby and the cats, which they always love, and just did what she wanted to do too.

I'll try to be better on updating this blog - with pictures - soon once I get through being overwhelmed with all I have to do.

Elise has a new job - happy news!

Natalie is vising Emily and Ryan. Just saw this picture on FB. I don't even want to know.

As soon as I dig my camera out of a bag that I packed for the beach but decided not to take, I'll have pictures of my daygown progress and my TX vine.

No comments:

Post a Comment