Friday, January 9, 2009

Southern Living - Staying or Going?

Since I don't have access to my pictures, I can't include the picture I took yesterday of my magazine cabinet, but I'll try to do before and after pictures one day if I ever finish organizing it. Southern Living has always been my favorite magazine since I discovered it on Mike's Aunt Myrtle's sun porch one day in the 1960s. My mother- and father-in-law have given us a subscription every Christmas for as long as I can remember, and I haven't always kept them, but it seems like for the last 10 years I can't throw one away. Mike can't believe I've moved a box of magazines 6 times in those 10 years, but when you live in 6 different houses, that's 6 yards and 6 houses that might can use the ideas from Southern Living. Since I can't think of one decorating idea or one gardening idea that has been life-changing and because you can access most things on-line now, I may be having to let them go. If I've been here a year-and-a-half, and they're still in the same cabinet and if I have not had time to read the new ones coming in, I think that answers my question. Still.....

I had no trouble with other various magazines. I just looked through rhem quickly and tore out some pages I might want later, and out they went. I'm even sorting through my heirloom sewing magazines and picking out the things I might somehow live long enough and learn enough skills to make and selling the rest on E-Bay. I can let these go for $3 apiece but just to put all the SL in the trash makes me sad. I've become less of a hoarder these past few years, so we'll see what happens. Also my friend Barbara gives me all her quilting magazines (which is like Christmas morning when I get a bag of those!), and it's also hard not to hold onto those. I don't have anyone to pass them down to, but I may have to start picking my favorites and letting some go. It hurts!

It was a beautiful day today, and I took a break from standing on my head in the den cabinets to take Mama shopping. It's the first time she's been anywhere but to church and the beauty shop since October, and I think she enjoyed it. She drove her walker into Belk's and was able to sit on the seat while she looked at things. Finding shirts and jackets for 40% and 50% off plus another 30% markdown was pretty exciting, and she got a suit coat, 3 fleece tops, and 2 sweaters, so I think she's set for awhile. The weather must have been exceptional because she asked to stop and get an oreo McFlurry on the way home. Those are usually reserved for July and August.

I'm looking forward to meeting Emily in Columbus tomorrow to exchange cars. I've been back just once since we moved, and that was in a hurry (cat pick-up), so I'm looking forward to seeing what's changed and driving by our old house.

No comments:

Post a Comment