Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Onion in the Freezer - Edited for Results


It's a slow day when the most interesting article I read this morning was on my Google Page: How to Chop Onions Without Crying. I plan to read it more carefully later since I have some onions to chop this afternoon, and my eyes are already stinging just thinking about it. There's even a video. I'm not sure I could wear safety goggles, although there are times when I would have gladly put on a pair. And cutting them underwater just seems somehow dangerous. I thought I would try the idea of putting one in the freezer though - just to see.

I did buy pre-chopped vegetables once. I looked around to see if anyone was watching me. I had always passed those by with a superior attitude: That's what's wrong with the world. People can't even chop their own vegetables or make their own salads. I can't even remember what combination I bought or why I was in such a hurry for them, but I don't think it was a bad experience at all. By the time I used them, I had forgotten how much they cost and was making plans to buy them any time I wanted them. I probably waste as much money letting onions go bad.

So if my eyes aren't too bleary and swollen this afternoon, I'll record the results of the experiment.


2:13 - So, it's official, putting an onion in the freezer for a few hours works. No tears, no odor, nothing. I think I'm a little late to this party, but I'm glad to find it out. Not that I usually plan ahead enough to think about putting an onion in the freezer, but it's still good to know. And that little case of frostbite? I imagine that will be as believable a work excuse as my friend Rita's - umm - goat procedure she had to help with this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment