1. Forget to add water.
2. Forget to add coffee.
3. Remember to add water and coffee but forget to put in a filter.
4. Remember to add water, coffee, and filter, but forget to put in the basket.
5. Let the filter fold down on itself.
6. Not seat the carafe the proper way. On my particular coffeemaker, if the handle is not turned the right way, the water will go into the basket but not drip down. Real mess.
7. Yesterday when I was on the phone, I turned on the coffeemaker and then noticed the basket sitting on the counter. I quickly turned it off hoping to save a mess, and I had forgotten to add the coffee as well. Less messy, but definitely a minus in my scatter-brained column.
But when it is done right, there's nothing better than that first cup of coffee in the morning. Or maybe one late in the afternoon when I'm about to start working on a cold rainy day. What's even better is if some sweet person makes it for you and brings it to you with just the right combination of sugar and creamer.