Sunday, January 18, 2009

Forgettable Saturday

Some days are more interesting than others, but yesterday was not one of them. I worked some in the morning and some in the afternoon, and the only time I went out was to get our weekly fast-food - Tenda-Chick this week - and the Birmingham paper.
I was kidding my doctor about my ear falling off, but for a while I wasn't sure that wasn't happening. It started with a vague sore throat which I sometimes will have but ignore. Then my ear also started hurting when I swallowed, and I've never had an earache before. I felt fine otherwise, so I started putting 2 and 2 together and remembered that blast of arctic air that probably not only froze the bump on my outer ear but went rushing down my ear canal, freezing the eardrum and, oh, how about the eustachian tube? The electric shock feelings are probably frozen nerve endings - that's my story; top it if you can!
I worked anyway but felt kind of irritated that I would have to dread swallowing and about 9:00 begged Mama for one of her pain pills and got in bed to read. The pain eased a little, and I slept very well until 8:00 this morning. There are still random lightning bolts that shoot from my jaw to my ear, but it doesn't hurt to swallow, so I'm pretty optimistic about my diagnosis. That and the dreary weather made us decide not to go to church this morning. I read the Montgomery paper - 87 seconds on Sunday - clipped the Hobby Lobby 40% off coupon, and scanned (as in looked at, not copied) and threw away 3 magazines.
The bookcase is coming along. I've been working on it all week. You can't just throw out magazines without looking all the way through them for articles that might save your life one day or at least make you happier, so it's a little slow. Here's what it looked like a couple of weeks ago:


Hopefully in a day or so, I'll have something much better looking than that. When I moved here 2 years ago, I just stuffed random books and magazines in there, planning to straighten them out later. Well, it's later. I see an outlet in this picture that I didn't notice before. I'll have to go check. It looks like a phone jack? It seems terribly useful. I think I'll hide a phone down there.
I sent Mike an email yesterday that had been forwarded to me about a 1977 Penney catalog and the "fashions" then. We tried to reassure each other that we had never worn anything similar to those. He confirmed that he had never had a leisure suit - whew! I didn't think so, but then our children never thought we would dress them like we did in the 70s and 80s. I did have some pretty busy prints that tend to make me dizzy when I see the pictures. We reminisced about about the first items of clothing we bought with his long-awaited first paycheck in 1968. We had gone without anything for a whole year except groceries, rent, and gas and an occasional movie - maybe 2. There wasn't enough money for first-year anniversary flowers, so I got them on the 13th month anniversary. Funny the things you can remember. I hear elderly people should start writing down their memoirs for future generations. In case there is a future generation, here it is. Welcome. My life may be boring now, but it hasn't always been, and I might be able to find some interesting things. Maybe. I'm sure it was better than straightening bookcases. Although that seems pretty exciting to me now.

No comments:

Post a Comment