Sunday, November 24, 2019

The Diary

I'm sure almost every little (and big) girl has had a diary at one point in her life.  I remember mine being off-white with a gold trim and shiny gold lines to write on.  Most importantly it had a key that I usually managed to keep hidden.  I doubt anyone in my life then cared about my childish scribblings, but my brother would delight in finding the key or the diary unlocked and read my words back to me.

Elise and Emily both had diaries growing up, but I guess it speaks well of me that I wasn't curious enough to remember what they looked like.  In a box of mementos, we found (and repacked) a Hello Kitty diary of Emily's that looks like around third grade.  Graysen is very interested in finding that one.  Because this 6-year-old now has the greatest diary in the whole wide world!


It's not just any diary.  I has a cover with floating sparkles and a mermaid's tail and says, "Mermazing."  But best of all it has a ribbon page marker with a pompom.  I think that is the best thing about it right now, next to the key.

This week was the school book fair, and she took some money to school to spend any way she wanted to.  She found out that $20 doesn't go too far when your first pick is $13!  But it was exactly what she wanted, and it didn't matter that the only other thing she could afford was a poster showing a white kitty with a donut that said, DoNut Disturb.  She learned a new term from her dad:  play on words - and loved repeating that.

Anyway, she came skipping out of school clutching that fabulous diary and gushing on and on about it.  The only problem was that the purple ribbon bookmark had come out.  Everyone knows Mimi can fix everything - or so they think.  I wasn't so sure, but out came the Krazy Glue, and I gave it a try.  I'm the messiest when it comes to glue, and I was sweating by the time I finished working on it.  If I had messed that thing up, I would be in bad trouble.

But so far it's worked - very neatly, I have to say - and is still in there.

The purple-striped pen is an amazing addition.  She just got it Saturday at her friend Everly's party in the goodie bag, and it matches perfectly.  She also brought that to me at one point to be glued back together.  It was a crazy day for Krazy Glue.

School was out around noon for teacher conferences, and we had to wait until 3:15 to pick up Katherine, and she could hardly wait to show her.  She took it into the school and showed it to Katherine and all the little envious 4-year-olds plus Katherine's teachers.  As soon as we got in the car, she started writing in it.  She did let Kate hold it and examine it, but she wrote nonstop all the way to McDonald's, which was only about two sentences.  She even wrote about seeing a little girl dressed like Elsa crossing the street to go to the Frozen matinee in North Bend.

Friday night was sleepover night, so I heard every exclamation and was asked to spell many words before bedtime.  She loved reading her words over and over and sometimes to us.  She slept with it beside her.

Poor Kate.  I knew she would be sad.  She's used to not having all the new clothes, but a new diary too!  She was quiet and accepting, but I found her secretly opening it and holding the key when Graysen was doing something else.  My heart!

Elise felt it too!  She decided to give Katherine a diary for Christmas and picked out the same one but with a different design.  I thought it was a good idea, but something made me not want to rain on Graysen's parade.  I know these are just possessions, but everyone needs to experience that special gift sometimes and not have to share it.  We compromised and found her another one that's pink with a heart on it and possibly a little glitter.  She will be thrilled, and Graysen will still feel like hers is special.

She brought it to me and asked me to write (like a grownup) "THIS BOOK BELONGS TO" and a line.  Then she wrote her name on the line.


I found a little box for her keys and lock, and I'm pretty sure that's going to be a problem, keeping up with those tiny things.








Such special memories.  I hope she will read this one day and remember.  I told her I was writing it down in MY diary for her to read one day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment