Thursday, November 28, 2019

Thanksgiving 2019

What a great Thanksgiving!  It was perfect from beginning to end.  We're finally able to pull off holidays with the kind of fun and laughter that Mike wanted us to have with just a few times of bittersweet memories and just a few "it's just not fair" thoughts.

A few times this week, I've had this feeling of sadness at things not being the way they used to be.  In a way, even though it was stressful at times, I wanted to be preparing for a houseful of people and dogs and lots of food, making sure there was plenty of hot chocolate and coffee around and cooking extra desserts and everyone's favorite things.

But then I realize I like the place I am now.  I'm the one who shows up empty-handed at Emily and Ryan's house and has nothing to do but just sit and listen to the girls chatter and hear them laughing over last-minute preparations in the kitchen.  

Emily said she was proud of me because I actually CHOSE to walk to their house in 30s weather.  She said she knew I would come around eventually.  I'm not that brave though.  There was sunshine and no wind, so it was a pleasant walk.  Throw in that rain and even snow, and I'm inside by the fire!  

The girls greeted me by showing me the place mats and place cards they had worked so hard on.



 And still working on them.



 I then went into the kitchen to meet this big boy.  They had ordered a fresh turkey from a butcher, but when Emily got there to pick it up, they didn't have the one she ordered, so she had a get a much bigger one.  It was cooked to perfection by Ryan and delicious.


Emily was working on the Brussels sprouts.


Which ended up looking like this and was my favorite dish.




While lunch was being finished, I let the girls open their 2019 ornaments from me.  I used to give the adults one too, but now we're just treating the children.  More pressure off of finding just the perfect meaningful ornament!


Graysen is into penguins this year, so that's what she got.


And Katherine got a white kitty and a baby seal.


"Oh, I love him SO much!"


Then it was snuggles on the couch with Mimi and Aunt CeCe.



They promise this is fun!








My favorite place in the world to be!


Katherine needs so many friends to share her place!
\

It was such a good lunch and so much laughing.  The girls had sweet and thoughtful prayers before we started and managed to eat a few bites.  They had just as soon have had hot dogs.  The rest of us just loved being together and having a good time.

This was my plate.  Emily also made dressing, Caesar salad, and cranberry relish, which were good also.  Two good cooks in this house.  Dessert was all the fruit you want, but no one rushed to have any!  It was just the perfect amount.


I love the age of the girls now.  As soon as we finished, they were upstairs playing and chattering and leaving us to clean up the kitchen in peace.  Such a change from their baby days.  Cleaning up was even fun, and Elise and I left in a bit to leave them to their afternoon.  So thankful for these folks.

After a brisk walk home, I was ready for a cup of coffee and finishing my good book:  A Nearly Normal Family.  Very appropriate!  Very good book too.


No comments:

Post a Comment