Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Day Before Thanksgiving

I just retrieved my camera from my bag  and I haven't even opened the computer since Monday, so this will be a picture-less post.

Monday - The trip was uneventful - Montgomery to Atlanta, then Atlanta to Seattle.  It was an especially nice flight to Seattle - nice flight attendants and nice seatmates, not too much turbulence.  It's just that middle seat that gets a little cramped.  I did have someone so interesting that I met in the seat next to mine - someone who has dabbled in even more crafts and sewing ventures than I have.  Her work with miniatures sounds out of this world, and I'm hoping to get back in contact with her and see some of them.

Mike and Emily picked me up - in the rain, of course, and before we were out of the airport fully, Emily just couldn't wait to tell me.  She said do you want to know some good news now or wait until we get home?"  Silly girl!  I couldn't imagine.  It turns out that Mike's spot on the brain that was thought to be a metastasis from the lung cancer was not that at all; it was a blood vessel and not in any need of treatments.  It was just too amazing to comprehend how almost the worst thing in the world could turn into a situation where the words "cancer free" were spoken.  Dr Kaplan, the oncologist was said to have done a dance in the hallway to celebrate.  We're all pretty thrilled ourselves!

Yesterday, Emily and I left the babies with the guys and went shopping.  We first went by a little house in Fall City that is going to be for rent in December.  Teeny little cottage but in such a cute neighborhood and an interesting little town.  Only 13 miles from Snoqualmie too.

Then it was Starbucks (of course) and then Nordstrom Rack in Factoria.  Emily was needing work clothes, and I was just along for the ride.  We did take a total of 20 things into the dressing rooms, and all but 2 got a thumbs down.  The clearance prices on some things there are probably more than twice what I would ordinarily pay for something -  it was fun to look around and try on shoes and stuff, but I didn't see a thing I even considered twice.  Except for some warm owl slippers.

We next went to Costco.   My few experiences at the Costco in Issaquah have amazed me.  It's like a Black Friday sale every time, and the Tuesday before Thanksgiving was not a great day to be in there.  We waited in line to order a pizza.  We waited in line to check out.  Emily waited in a LONG line to pick up a prescription.  It was hard to maneuver the aisles because of 10 or 15 people in the same aisle.  Not a place I would want to take children.  People were nice though, and it wasn't a bad experience.  I was kind of spooked by the creepy guy pushing agave honey.  I passed by him  about 3 times, and every time I heard a whispery voice saying "Ahhh-gaaaa-vay.  Ahhhh-gaaaa-vay."  He went on about diabetics and blood sugar, but I didn't see anyone lining up to try it.

Today:  Both mornings, I've been awakened by a shy little knock at the door and then a not-so-shy knock at the door and then a little head appearing around the corner.  Graysen loves to get up early and loves to come get in Mimi's bed to snuggle.  Mike gets up early and goes downstairs to read or try to sleep some more, so we have long and random talks about dreams and owls and birthday party hats and Cinderella - and much more.  I treasure those times - sleepy eyes, hair all messed up, and warm little arms and legs.  She's learning about Christmas the past few days and is so excited even before Thanksgiving at hearing about Rudolph and Frosty and Jingle Bells.

I had wanted to take her to story time at the library for a long time, and we actually pulled it off today.  The fact that the temperature was in the mid-30s didn't stop us.  She was so cute waking along with me and making comments about everything.  It took us maybe 10 minutes to get there, checking out all the cracks in the sidewalk and all the leaves and pine cones.  We were early, and the place looked dark, so I had a feeling story time was cancelled.  We walked around the town, looking in windows and talking about important things until the doors opened - and sure enough it was one of the weeks when it was cancelled.  I still got a temporary library card and went over to the children's section to let her look at and hear a few books.  We checked out "The Lost Mitten," and one about Cinderella and a ballerina - lots of pink and stars on the front.

Then we walked across the street to a deli for hot chocolate.  I don't think Graysen had ever had any, and it was such a treat to watch her taste it.  Really nice lady who waited on us cooled it down and put in more milk than anything.  She was talking about how she was frying turkeys for a free Thanksgiving dinner for anyone who wanted to come.  Such a nice thing.  She said they would serve everyone until it was gone.  We then walked home and again examined every puddle and light pole and bush she wanted to.  I loved that I had the time and patience to do this with her.  My hands were frozen into claws carrying her pine cones and leaves, but it didn't matter.  It was a special time to share with her.

Katherine has been sweet and smiley and bubbly most of the day, but there have been times when she got tired of all the distractions offered and just wanted to be walked around or fed or bounced.  I don't mind.  There's nothing like kissing the back of a nearly 6-month-old's neck and watching those little hands reach for things.

I took Graysen up for her nap and read her 2 books and she was already yawning.  As I got up, she said, "Thank you, Mimi, for reading me books.  I love you SO much."  Again, my heart couldn't get any fuller.

Now she's still asleep, Ryan's downstairs stuffing a turkey for the big dinner tomorrow, and Mike is feeding Katherine.  I took this chance to get away for a few minutes and write.  I might not get a chance for days, and I don't want to forget anything.  Maybe I'll remember to take some pictures next time/

No comments:

Post a Comment