Tuesday, September 23, 2014


I'm sitting here in Snoqualmie drinking a big cup of coffee, having made my departure from Montgomery feeling relatively good about things and having pulled off another flight by myself without doing something stupid.

I'm making a rash decision to write something on this blog every day before checking emails and looking at Facebook or doing anything else.  Unless Graysen wakes me up, and then, of course, she comes first.

Sherry and David are off on another outing with the kitties, this time for her to attend long-arm quilting classes in Springfield (ha, I don't even know which state yet), and she said she was going to keep up her Tails from Tennessee blog.  I figured I could do as much myself, so let's see how it goes. Although - I just went to get the link, and the last entry was 2 months ago.  I need to call her out on that.

Yesterday halfway to Seattle, I started thinking about how the day had gone so far, with the object of writing it down, and it took me several minutes to even remember my seatmate from a few hours ago.  That may be because she didn't speak English or chose not to speak any language.  I've come to appreciate people like that a little bit, although the elderly Asian lady on one side of me on the other flight kept glaring at me, even when I smiled at her, and clutched her purse tighter if I turned her way.  I knew I was going to be in a middle seat and was worried I would have 2 no-nonsense suit-wearing guys who wouldn't be tolerant of having yarn draped all over them and having to pick up dropped knitting needles.  But the glaring lady and (I believe) her granddaughter on my other side ignored me completely and let me knit or sleep all I wanted to.

Last time waiting in Atlanta for the flight home to Montgomery, I was cross-stitching and attracted the interest of 3 other ladies who were headed to Montgomery also.  Four completely different people of different ages and stages in life were drawn together by a hobby, and we had so much fun talking we hated to get on the plane.

This time in Atlanta, I met a grandmother waiting for her daughter and 4 grandchildren to come from Nashville so they could fly to Seattle and then on to Hawaii.  She was interesting to talk to and a little anxious about them being late.  It was priceless seeing her expression when the children ran up behind her and surprised her.  I was knitting, and this opened up a conversation with another grandmother from near Seattle whose daughter and granddaughter live in Columbus, GA. We had a lot in common to talk about, and I now wish I had gotten her email address.  She loves to garden, and if we ever get a chance to move here, she could give me some ideas.

Ok.  So I wrote the above at 7:00 a.m., and it's now 10:18.  Where did the day go?  First a sweet little girl with striped pajamas came down to play, and I have not seen my computer since.  Such a fun day.  Friends from Lubbock, Jo and Larry, flew into Renton and are spending a couple of nights.  They have their own plane, and we're their third stop on their trip to the West Coast.  Lots of things planned tomorrow, but tonight we're all tired and getting to bed early.  Ryan smoked some brisket and pork and made an amazing potato salad, so we're all full and ready to sleep.

I'll have pictures tomorrow because I took a lot today.  Have to sleep now.....

No comments:

Post a Comment