Thursday, February 13, 2014

Happy First Birthday to Graysen

No one believes that a whole year has passed since she was born.  So much joy.  So much sweetness.  So much laughter.

Graysen has her own email address, and I've been emailing her every week or so to tell her things that she might enjoy knowing when she's old enough to read these emails.  Rather than do so much repeating, I'll just copy the email I sent her this morning.

Happy Birthday, Sweet Girl.  You really don't know this day is any different than any other and probably wonder what the fuss is all about.  Fopa is there, and there are gifts to open - almost like Christmas all over again.  Then you get to go to Ro and Lou's for a dinner in your honor and probably have more gifts and a cake and a special birthday bib.  Oh, and lots of pictures.  One day you'll know what it's all about.

You won't remember - because you weren't born yet - how exciting and frustrating the days were leading up to your birth last year.  You were due on the 7th of February, and we had planned to be there in Snoqualmie when you were born, but since no one knew when that day was going to be, we just picked a date - February 14th.  On the 12th, your mom had a doctor's visit, and they found some serious things that made them admit her immediately and make plans to get you here.  

Back in Alabama, Texas, and Tennessee, your aunts/cousins/grandparents were beside ourselves, living for just one word from the hospital and then sharing every little bit of information and discussing it.  I'm not sure about everyone else, but I slept very little the night of the 12th, just dozing and praying a lot for your safe arrival.  

Everyone was a little emotional.  I got this text from your mom at 2:27 a.m. after I told her I would not sleep until I knew something:  "Aunt Kathy's crying over her catfish, and you can't sleep.  And I'm apparently not dilating.''

I must have dozed because the next conversations were between 7 and 10 a.m.  At 10:26, I received:  "C-section now.  Love ya'll.  Will talk soon."

The next email I got we were in the car on the way to Atlanta to go see you.  These were your mother's first comments about you that I heard:  Adore.  Obsessed.  She's too perfect, Mama."  

All thoughts of that dreaded airplane trip vanished, and the euphoria those words brought lasted for days.  Well, it's never really disappeared, but there was never a more perfect moment.  To know that the one we waited all those months for was really here and perfect and healthy.

And seeing the pictures your dad sent us.  I just could not keep from looking at them in amazement.

Even though we're so far away and just get to visit every few months, you have perfect parents who keep the pictures and videos coming and share as many moments of your day as they have time for.

You've made us so happy, and I love you more than life.  Mimi.

I bet we'll have some birthday pictures to share later on today, and I'll be sure to post them.

No comments:

Post a Comment