Thursday, June 16, 2011

Can It Be?


Do I dare hope?

We got a sprinkle, it looks like, the other night but nothing like what we need. I've just been straightening up my sewing room and ironing some fabric with the back door open and the wind blowing like mad. There's a nice constant rumble of thunder, and I can't keep from going to the door and letting the wind blow in my face - cool wind too.

I have nothing to show for my days of non-blogging.

Well, I may have made a bigger mess on the guest room bed. It's a pretty mess though.

I think I mentioned the Bottled Rainbows quilt before. (I go to Rachel's blog just to get my daily dose of looking at pretty things.) I'm not admitting that I've started a new project before I finished all 35 other ones. I haven't cut one little square or rectangle.

I did get all the Kona cotton colors and laid them on the bed and then started throwing scraps and fat quarters at them. It's addictive. Every time I see a fabric that's interesting, I have to run it by my colors and see it it fits in one of the rectangles.

Here is the result of some of my fabric flinging.








Some of the colors are easy to match and some of them I've found nothing yet. Barbara is bringing me some of her scraps Monday to see what they look like. I know. I'm bringing in more fabric. Maybe I can send some home with her.



Those birds just might show up in 3 of the rectangles




These 2 blue fabrics below, the cone-shaped ones, are from my late mother-in-law's sewing basket that I inherited. She had cut out a good many fabrics in the Sunbonnet Sue pattern, maybe when she had her first grandaughter back in the 70s, but she didn't get it made, and I have a beautiful treasure chest of what I guess are now vintage fabrics to some. They're small pieces but perfect for projects like this.



Speaking of vintage - we're counting the days for Social Security and Medicare. Mike has filled out the application on line, and he's actually going to quit his job - retire! - and move back here. What we know about the process would make a very thin book, but we're trying to learn. He will quit the end of August, and I'll go part time the end of September. I can't quite give up my fabric money, as meager as it seems.

I've crept back into the couponing world and decided to see if I could do it with less stress, and I did enjoy my couple of trips to Publix and Walgreens. At both places I spent around $60 and saved $45 - plus I have $14 in Walgreens money to go back and buy something else. I don't want to talk about my CVS trip. I'll remember now that just because an item has a sign hanging under it that says "Buy 1, get 1 half price," it's not necessarily talking about that very item. It may be a store brand with almost the same labeling that's on sale. I still got a $10 gas card for buying things we need there. Mike's 3 Schick and Gillette razors (with 15 cartridges) for 33 cents apiece were definitely worth spending some extra time clipping and sorting. I tried to get them free but failed.

I'm going to check on that rain, but it's not sounding rumbly any more.

I just noticed the comments from the last blog entry - long time ago. I'm flattered that Gaby thinks I might have grown the strawberries. If she could only see the little bird-pecked ones in my flower bed!

And I'm also flattered that I've inspired Lalobe to start crocheting again. I'm a bad influence like that. Her blog is another one that I have in my favorites under "New Favorite Blogs." It's worth checking out to see the cute guinea pig she trapped. The blog is in German, but there is a translation beneath. So, I guess guinea pigs are pests there? I need to go ask. {I wasn't able to leave a comment, so maybe she'll comment here.} Blogger/Google/FB have all been ornery the past few days.

3 comments:

  1. Hi!
    There is some progress in my crocheting.

    Guinea pigs are just pets here in Austria.Most people think they are only for kids but I think they make also great pets for adults. They have an interesting social life and should therefore never be kept alone. (It is even prohibited by Austrian law to keep a single guinea pig.) I have four of these furballs. Only when they think they haven´t had enough food (and when is it ever enough?!) they squeak real loud and can be little pests too! ;-) The guinea pig in my picture is Rosalie and she actually trapped herself in a hayrack ;-)
    Greetings, Lalobe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the explanation, Lalobe. They're too cute to be pests. That's a nice law to keep them from being lonely.

    We never had a guinea pig through the years but several hamsters, and they would tend to escape and cause all kinds of problems, includng once getting into the washing machine and chewing up our clothes. Not too happy that day. I did find an escaped guinea pig once a couple of years ago but managed to find the owner.

    Post some pictures of all four of your furballs. I'd love to see them.

    I'm not sure why I can't post comments any more besides here. Becky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi B! Lovely fabrics as always!! My strawberries are growing very slow; I´m almost done... Grrrrr;
    will feed it again to see some progress.
    So you don´t plant those? hehehe, show me your flowerbeds pics please.

    I enter to the Lalobe blog and I really love the chocolate quilt, so yummy. I have to say that guinea pig is very lovely too, I love the furry animals.
    Once I had a hamster, very cute animal; he barely runned away, once I thinked he scaped to the garden but fortunately it was into the couch, so it was very funny to disamble it to rescue my furry friend.

    A big hug for you, miss you! G

    ReplyDelete