Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Big Mama's First Quilt

Last week, I believe, I posted this picture and mentioned that I was waiting for more information.



This is one block of a quilt called either Paper Doll Quilt or Precious Doll Quilt by Kreations by Karon and was made by Faye Steffy of Littlefield, Texas, (Big Mama) who is 78 years old, and believe it or not, this is her first quilt.

I'm thinking of my first quilt now - bunches of 2-1/2 inch strips painstaking sewn together in a simple pattern

Not for Mrs. Steffy. Nothing so simple as that!

Here are a couple of Mike's co-workers, Kay and Betty, holding her quilt. Betty (on the right) did the quilting you can see around each little outfit.


Although this is her first quilt, you can tell Big Mama is not new to sewing, embroidery, and smocking. In fact, Betty says she sews for the public and is well known for her beautiful handwork. She also makes ceramic dolls.

Here are the individual blocks.















Beautiful. I bet it was a lot of fun to do, and I'm looking forward to meeting the creator of this quilt next time I get to Littlefield.

4 comments:

  1. *Swoon*
    Those are gorgeous.
    Such talent! I bet you could easily make one of those quilts, since you are so talented with the smocking, sewing, embroidering, and quilting!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful hand, look so real, I really like the floral pink and the lilac-minty one.
    Good work, congratulations.

    How do you call the stitches around the quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't she do a good job?

    Gaby, this one was quilted with a quilting machine, and it's called either an outline stitch or echo stitch, outlining the dresses and then going an inch or so further out and following the design There is a stitch called stippling, I believe, where you don't follow a certain pattern but just fill in your spaces with squiggles and lines. It's beautiful but hard to do, at least for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes. Allow me to introduce myself: I am Senora Dona de la Wacala, of Barcelona, Espana. I wish to provide commentary also, as the lovely ladies Gabriela y Lydia have also done. I hope this is permitted on your web-log. The quilts and sewing are very nice, but the photography is espectaculario. Wonderful and beautiful photographs. I must have more knowledge of the gifted and talented person who achieved these lovely images. I note that the author of thees web-log did not credit the photographer. Could you please tell the entire internet who the beautiful photographer was? It may be that I allow this most gifted of all photographers to fly at my expense to Barcelona. It is customary in my country of Espana to always give credit, but perhaps I know nothing of your country, and your extremely strange ways. Sincerely Dona de la Wacala.

    ReplyDelete