Sunday, December 6, 2009

Taco Soup (Recipe Added)


When I first made this about 10 years ago in Greensboro, I had never heard of it but loved it immediately, and we've been making it ever since. Lately I've heard more people mention it, and in the grocery store this week, the check-out girl said, "Yum, taco soup." I had only bought corn and kidney beans. Looks like I should have bought more taco mix, but I'm hoping the fajita mix I have will work. I don't put meat in it usually and just add the kinds of beans I have already. It'll be just perfect for these cold days.

Here's the recipe for Lydia!

TACO SOUP

2 lb ground beef
1 large onion
2 envelopes ranch dried dressing
2 envelopes taco seasoning
2 cans white shoepeg corn
2 cups water
2 (14.5 oz) cans tomatoes
3-4 cans beans, any kind - kidney, pinto, black, etc.

Brown beef and onions; drain. Add remaining ingredients. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer 2 hours. Top with grated cheese and/or tortilla chips. Serve with cornbread.

---------------

It is good with ground beef and onions too.

The fajita mix was not the same as taco. Too much cumin, I think. Not bad though.

You can never add too much cheese

5 comments:

  1. Sounds good (and easy enough for me to do!) Can you post the recipe, pretty please??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lydia: Please don't make this soup. It is not authentic. Sopa de torilla never contains frijoles, but always has avocados and goat heads. I really hope you will not fall into this gringa variation of a classico soup-o.

    Sincerly, Fernando Arturo Lopez de los Moros

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see I'm going to have to start deleting the senor's comments again. Goat heads are harder to find at Publix than plantains.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No luck with the goat heads, but I did make the soup and it was a hit! I'll email you a picture.

    ReplyDelete