Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Good Smells Coming From the Kitchen

I gathered all the things for Gaby's punch. This is a smaller recipe because of it just being me and anyone I can lure in for a taste with these pictures.

So I have an apple - Gala I think; a Bosch pear; already cut-up pineapple from the Publix deli, not canned; raisins - golden would have been prettier: brown sugar; and the spices in a tea ball.

I didn't have ginger but used nutmeg. (?) I saw an intimidating hunk of ginger in the produce department, but since I just need a bit, I didn't really want to spend the money on it. Same with the papaya. No plantains but plenty of papaya - at $2.49 apiece. I decided I could live without that too. I saw kiwi but didn't know what that would add to it except maybe color.

Ready to go!



It smells out of this world. I think cherries would be pretty and good in my version, but I don't have any. I can see how everyone has a different combination. I'm thinking about sprinkling pecans on it right before I eat it. You can't have anything in the south without adding pecans.

I keep going back and sampling. It gets better every time.

Here's the wassail recipe we use. Especially nice with a shadow of the camera and my hands. Again after fighting with disgusting wads of cheesecloth for 35 years, I had the bright idea of putting the spices in a tea ball. Works wonderfully. The cinnamon sticks just float around with the orange. Sometimes I don't put the orange in; that's just to make it look festive. And because that's the way we've always done it.

More yummy clues from Mama's corner.

Emily's request for "let's don't have a lot of food this year" has fallen on deaf ears, it seems. I know she didn't really mean it.

I hear divinity is happening the next sunny day.

No comments:

Post a Comment