Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Crowning Glory of Calla Lily Ponder

When I saw this book by Rebecca Wells on the library shelf yesterday, I didn't hesitate to grab it. She's the author of "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood," one of my favorite books (and later movie), and I was excited to see she had written another one, especially with my lack of library luck lately.

I ended up with 2 novels, a book of short stories and 3 audio CDs, and they sat there in their spot tempting me every time I passed by yesterday. I had needlework to do last night, so I started the first CD. I'm still not sure about this one. It's called, "The Timeless Land," by Eleanor Dark - "a classic novel of the settlement of Australia." I know very little about the history of Australia, so I thought this might be interesting. But so far it's just a little boring. I think it's the reader. He has a lovely British (Australian?) accent and rolls his r's beautifully. He even does a few tribal yells and pronounces the names musically, but the reading may be just a tad too dramatic. It makes me tired. I was going to try the 2nd CD while I painted today, but unfortunately my CD player has stopped. I tried several combinations of batteries, and it will turn on but not play. So pooh.

Tonight after work I got my nice cup of Gingerbread coffee and snuggled up to start my book. I think my expectations were too high at first because I kept thinking - really? This is the same author? Nothing special, maybe even a little silly. But by page 80, I was hooked, and I just now found myself with tears running down my cheeks, on the verge of a full-fledged cry. Over a book. Made-up stuff! It's amazing how words can touch you so deeply.

It made me want to talk to my daughters. The one in my time zone is long asleep, and the one in the Pacific time zone refuses to answer her phone even though she must sense my need to cry to her. After all, we choose movies to watch together that will make us cry, and she would certainly understand.

But the feeling is past now, and I'm about to curl up in bed and read some more. I think the rest of the book will not be so sad. The author is a funny lady, but she took me by surprise tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment