Saturday, October 17, 2009

Latest Reading/Listening Material

I used to read a lot. A lot. Especially when I worked at the library all those years, I always had several books going and even joined a book club or 2 through the years. The only kind of shopping Mike has ever enjoyed doing with me is going into bookstores (except for the actual buying part). He now puts me to shame with reading. I think the Internet must have curtailed my reading books because I sure do read a lot of random things on line.

There's something about a real book though that I miss. I have a book of short stories that I read sometimes when I'm eating lunch, but I think that I just haven't found one of those can't-put-it-down books lately.

On my trip in September, I went to the library and checked out 3 audio books and 1 regular book, and so far 3 out of 4 are very good. The 4th, I've started listening to twice and never got into really well, but I'm going to give it another try if I have time before the 27th when they are due - already rechecked once.

The book is:
It looks like a beach-y book, but it's not at all. It is set on the coast of Oregon and at first had altogether too many horses in it for me, but I stuck with it, and it turned out to be a fascinating story. It does have a happy ending in a way, but it doesn't paint all the characters with such a flattering brush, more like real life! Once I got halfway through, I left the computer early enough to have a lot of reading time before going to sleep.

The audio book that I enjoyed the most was:


This is a book that I didn't want to end. It made my trip to and from Texas seem like just a couple of hours. Darby didn't mind the voice constantly reading to us and I think learned to recognize it. It's set in New York in the 30s and tells about 3 generations of a Jewish Russian immigrant's family, all living in the same house. The reader's accent was fun, and I learned a lot. I think I want my grandchildren to call me Bubby Manya.

I finished Orchard Street about Shreveport and started this one:
It's not as good as Orchard Street but has kept my interest so far. The usual, college roommates and where their paths take them after graduation. Sad in some ways, kind of a broody kind of book, but I'm on CD 10 of 14, so I'll see where it goes from here.

I don't know about this one. I've listened to the first CD twice now and still can't quite decide if I like it or not. There was some violence in the first chapter, which I think was just a prologue, and I'll probably try the second chapter before I have to turn it in.

White Coolies
This is not a book I have read (listened to) lately, but I always mention it when anyone asks about a good book. I couldn't find a picture of it, but this is a pretty good review above. Rather than being sad or horrifying (which parts of it certainly are), I was amazed at the cheerfulness and resourcefulness of these strong women. Makes you wonder how you would respond in similar circumstances. In my case, I think I know.

Overall, it's been a productive fall for reading. I'm considering asking for an Ipod or whatever those little things are that allow you to download stuff on something smaller for my next gift. The CD player is kind of a pain to haul around. I think I've gotten all the gifts I'm going to get for at least a year though.

No comments:

Post a Comment