Friday, August 14, 2009

Anything for a Snack


I gave blood for the first time ever today. I'm not sure why I haven't. Needles don't bother me - usually. It's probably just the thing about my needing somebody to take me by the hand and lead me to do something. And it pretty much happened like that today.

A bloodmobile bus was at Wal-Mart last fall, and I agreed to give blood then, but Mama was with me (or I wouldn't have been there in the first place), and they weren't going to be there later that afternoon. Again at the post office not too long ago, I would have given except I was headed out of town. Always an excuse.

Today was my "me" day. I pretty much did just what I wanted to, and one of those things involved going to the downtown library for audio books. Outside the entrance was a lonely-looking lady with an umbrella and 2 balloons and some papers on a table. I usually avoid eye contact with anyone like that. No polls or petitions. No subscriptions to the Montgomery Advertiser. I'm already registered to vote, and I didn't see Girl Scout cookies. But somehow I glanced over, and that was enough. She saw the hesitancy and pounced. It didn't seem to bother her that I had never given blood before. I was in that bus in 2 minutes. I felt strangely like prey being led to my fate as we walked across the parking lot.

But it was all very nice. Everything explained well. Festive paper lanterns and streamers on the ceiling. I hadn't eaten lunch so I had my choice of snacks. No pain. No lightheadedness. Got a T-shirt.


And maybe I helped someone. I'll definitely do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment