Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Ugly Eggs

There's nothing hard or time-consuming about boiling eggs.   I'm not looking for new and improved ways of doing it, but when I read an article about baking eggs in their shells, I was dubious.  No way.  I watched the video from a cooking show or news show or something, and this girl just put eggs in a muffin tin, baked them at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, and they were perfectly shaped boiled eggs with a beautiful center.

Again, no way.  Of course, I had to try it. 


I have large and small muffin tins plus the silcone ones in 3 sizes, but this is the one I chose.  Don't ask why.  Probably my first mistake.  I got the oven preheated and popped them in.

I actually heard the timer beep and took them out immediately to immerse in cold water.  That was one of the rules, I guess to keep them from being overcooked.  It sure didn't do much for making them easy to peel.  At all.


I could already see that the shells had brown discoloration on them from the heat, but I let them cool and then peeled them.  Not good.  Not very appetizing.


I peeled away the brown layer, which left one egg almost down to the yolk.  But I have to admit the centers were nearly perfect.



If - big if - I ever do this again, I will follow the instructions and put them in a regular muffin tin.  Maybe the exposure on the shell was too much.  I'd also lower the temperature just a bit and take them out after 25 minutes.  The yolk was a little too firm for my taste.


  But they tasted just like eggs, and I chopped them up with a little mayo and mustard and had a little egg salad for lumch.  I can't imagine a time when I would pick baking over boiling, but at least I tried it and found out it works.  Sort of.  If I'm going to spend time in the kitchen, I should at least try to make something delicious.  I'm planning to make a chicken and rice dish this week for the family plus some muffins and quesadillas for the girls' lunches.

I went in circles this morning and got very little done but didn't really have anything to do.  I worked a little on cross stitch, read on the balcony, listened to my audio book, played with baking eggs, and texted with Emily.

She said they were having a babies picnic.

This looks like the Bitty Baby that I got Graysen her first Christmas.  She's not ever been a favorite, being a big baby doll, so I'm glad she got chosen for the picnic.  I made the dress last year for the American Girl dolls, but I think I like it on her.


They got back from their camping trip yesterday, and the girls wanted to send me pictures and videos and tell me things.  Hopefully, I'll get to pay them a visit in person this week.  They're growing so fast I hate missing even a few days seeing them.

]]

She sure does love her dad's boots.  They look like they're a couple of sizes too big, but she will choose them over any others.



\

No comments:

Post a Comment