Sunday, November 24, 2019

Stockings and Doll Clothes

I think I've mentioned that I go a little crazy sometimes and take on new projects right in the middle of other things I've got going.  That's the norm for me, and I guess I won't ever get any better. 

I got the fabric ordered and delivered and had the cuff fabric.  I decided to use some plush white stuff I've had forever for the insides and was glad to get rid of it.  I had only enough for four stocking, so I went down to the garage and dug around until I found some white Minky for the girls'. 



Probably everything that could go wrong did, but I overcame all the obstacles and finished them. 

In hindsight, I would have used ribbon for the hangers instead of the fabric, but I most likely won't ever be making any more, so this will have to do. 


For Kate the cat lover.


Graysen is into penguins lately, and this is the best I could do.


The grownups will have to fight over these.  Elise chose the green, but the rest of us will just take what we get.


I now have to make one for Layla and one for the favorite dolls - plus the two they don't know they're getting. 

And doll clothes!  As slow as I am, I am not turning out vast wardrobes of clothing for the dolls, but Graysen doesn't seem to understand I'm not her personal seamstress.  She pores over the pattern books and picks out exactly what she wants, and most of them take fabric I don't have lying around - satins and taffetas and lace and sequins.

But we nailed this outfit.  The planning anyway.  We'll see how close I can come to it.  This is a library book, and Graysen has been eyeing this particular page since I brought it home. 


It would not be my first choice - or my 10th choice, for that matter - but I'm not the one playing with and dressing the dolls.

When I was in Hobby Lobby last week, I glanced at the lace fabrics, knowing I was not going to buy a huge piece for that little sample, but then I saw this piece of 5-inch lace trim and knew it would probably work nicely.


Graysen found this aqua knit in my doll clothes fabric and excitedly chose that.  I might could do an overlay since it's scalloped at the bottom.  We'll see!

The lace is gathered, so I think I bought enough to make a skirt overlay also.

Now to the pants.  I knew I could never find any fabric like that, but something kept rattling around in my head, and I finally figured out what it was.

Years ago, Sherry had sent me two pieces of black and white fabric that you could color like a coloring book.  At that time, I didn't want to let the little scribblers have access to it, so I tucked it away and did the "out of sight, out of mind" thing.  Almost.  It wasn't buried so deeply that I couldn't find it, and I triumphantly pulled it out and showed it to Graysen.


 She stared at it for a few minutes, and said, "It's not as cool as the fabric in the picture."  No, butterflies and flowers are not as cool as hearts and rainbows and stars to a little girl, but once I showed her the fabric markers and how she could color it any way she wanted to, she was hooked.   The pink marker is dried up, so I'll be ordering some more, and maybe there will be some lighter colors, although this is looking good and exactly what she wanted.


I hope I can find that little bit of black lace at the hem, because no detail escapes those eagle eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment